MSA Storage
1752836 Members
3371 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Process to add new disk array on a MSA2050 with 2 Group disks running in Production?

SOLVED
Go to solution
LuisGuajardo
Visitor

Process to add new disk array on a MSA2050 with 2 Group disks running in Production?

Hi, i would like to know if someone can share me the process to add new disk array (6 disk) on a MSA2050 with 2 Group disks running in Production,

Thanks!

3 REPLIES 3
Shawn_K
HPE Pro
Solution

Re: Process to add new disk array on a MSA2050 with 2 Group disks running in Production?

Hello,

To add a new disk-group follow the instructions in the SMU Guide:  https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docId=a00017707en_us

You can begin at page 80 for Virtual Disk Groups. During the creation of the disk-group you will be allowed the option to select Pool A or Pool B - this will depend on which volume you want to increase in size or which Pool you wish to add a volume too.

Once the disk-group is added you can either create a new volume or expand an existing volume. Depending on the host OS there are steps you may need to take if you increase the storage. Please follow those steps to correctly see the storage from the hosts.

Cheers,
Shawn

I work for Hewlett Packard Enterprise. The comments in this post are my own and do not represent an official reply from HPE. No warranty or guarantees of any kind are expressed in my reply.

I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo

If you look for only procedure of how to create new VDG and add to the existing Pool then Shawn already shared the same.

From you what we would like to understand,

-> Do you use both Pools?

-> We understand you have two VDG (Virtual Disk Group) but are they part of same Pool or each belongs to different pool ?

--> What is the purpose of creating new VDG with 6 drives ? It means you want to increase space for the existing pool so that you can use this increased space for the existing volumes and new volumes or you want this new VDG for the pool which is not yet used and for future new volumes?

Hope this helps!
Regards
Subhajit

I am an HPE employee

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!

I work for HPE
Accept or Kudo
LuisGuajardo
Visitor

Hi, we have this configuration Previously,

Name         Health  Pool     RAID           Level      Class          Total Size           Free
10K           OK          A          RAID6        Virtual     SAS            7192.0GB          5853.0GB
Cache       OK          A          RAID0        Virtual    sSAS          1596.5GB            1012.9GB
7.2k           OK          B          RAID6        Virtual     SAS MDL  11.9TB                 5097.5GB

But we hace 6 slots empty, and the plan was fill all of them to have another datastore for VMware, i added yesterday, and how is like this array: "10K.NEW"

Name         Health  Pool     RAID           Level      Class          Total Size           Free
10K           OK          A          RAID6        Virtual     SAS            7192.0GB          5853.0GB
Cache       OK          A          RAID0        Virtual    sSAS          1596.5GB            1012.9GB
7.2k           OK          B          RAID6        Virtual     SAS MDL       11.9TB            5097.5GB
10K.NEW OK           B         RAID6         Virtual     SAS            4793.9GB           4730.7GB

But im not sure if the setting "Tier Afinitty" should be Performance instead Archive.

And the VGD new is Volumen 3:

Name         Pool    Size           Allocated Size      Class        Write Policy     Optimization    Read-ahead    Tier Affinity
Volumen 1     A      7191.9GB     1338.9GB             Virtual      write-back         standard      Adaptive           Performance
Volumen 2     B     11.8TB          6805.5GB            Virtual      write-back         standard     Adaptive           Performance
Volumen 3     B      4778.9GB      148.1GB              Virtual      write-back        standard      Adaptive           Archive

Can you please let me know what do you think about this configuration?

Thanks In Advance!

Luis Guajardo