MSA Storage
1748252 Members
3902 Online
108760 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Qlogic HBA Card

johnd

Qlogic HBA Card

Have a small HP entry san which consists of sata and scsi drives two sp controllers (1500cs)and two HP fibre switches all for redundancy. Have configured the san by using the HP array configuration utility and also enabled ssp for port security. My problem is that I want do microsoft clustering and i have one logical drive that needs to be accessed by too separate HBA card on different servers. I Have tried through the HP array config util to give both HBA cards access using ssp, when you use disk management on windows server you see two disk drives, i.e. 1 and 0 you can initialise and format say drive 0 fine but when you go onto the second drive you do not see this drive so i did try an initialise the drive 1 but this failed as it was the same logical drive, so my question is how can you get the two HBA card accessing the same drive? have read the you need to do LUN filtering?
2 REPLIES 2
Stephen Kebbell
Honored Contributor

Hi,

you need a Multipathing driver which recognises that these 2 disks are actually 2 paths to the same disk. The software is available to download here:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DriverDownload.jsp?prodNameId=421495〈=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=18964&prodSeriesId=421492&taskId=135

There are 2 different MPIO Versions: Basic and Full-Featured. The one you need depends on the Firmware version of the MSA1500. If it'S 5.xx you need Basic, for 7.xx you need Full-Featured.
You can download the Manager for the Full-Featured, so you can manage the paths. There is no path-management for Basic MPIO.

Regards,
Stephen
johnd

Hi Stephen, Thanks for the information it worked but am still having issues can you help any further am getting the following errors!

installed cards both servers found just the one logical disk, partition drive into two formatted on one server and gave drive letters, went onto the other server and in to disk manager which showed the drives but not the drive letter or that it was formatted with ntfs but showed healthy did not show up as a drive in my computer therefore could not access, am also getting the following application error source: iqllmanagementagentja **no** compatible hba the controller is running firmware 5.10.b414 and the hba's are on 1.16.3 model AB429 see attached