1752445 Members
6240 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Question about dealing with two mas

Ouattara
Advisor

Question about dealing with two mas

I have 2 DL580 servers with two HBA per server, two san switches and two msa 1000 each with two controllers.
I must implement full redundancy and my problem is i dont know how to deal with the two msa.
Could anyone please help me
4 REPLIES 4
Andy_Stor
Valued Contributor

Hi Davy,

I am attaching a bmp file I hope it gives you some basic Idea, also you can check the below links to know more about MSA1000

QuickSpecs

http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/12624_div/12624_div.HTML

and link to tech docs which explains
Active/Active and Active/passive

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DocumentIndex.jsp?contentType=SupportManual&locale=en_US&docIndexId=179911&taskId=101&prodTypeId=12169&prodSeriesId=377751

Cheers
Andy
Ouattara
Advisor

Hello

Thank you for the time you spent answering my question. I am very gratefull to you Andy. Particularly for the graph, i found it very usefull
Allow me to worry you a little bit more though?
I am planning to create a RAID0 array on the first MSA1000 and to mirror the content of that MSA on to the second MSA1000.
question1: Will that be possible?

question2: In case its possible, will Secure Path be the software allowing me to do it?

Question3: Still in case it is possible, could you ouline the steps for going about it

Thanks
Ouattara
Advisor

Hello

Thank you for the time you spent answering my question. I am very gratefull to you Andy. Particularly for the graph, i found it very usefull
Allow me to worry you a little bit more though?
I am planning to create a RAID0 array on the first MSA1000 and to mirror the content of that MSA on to the second MSA1000.

question1: Will that be possible? (i am using Red Enterprise 4)

question2: In case its possible, will Secure Path be the software allowing me to do it?

Question3: Still in case it is possible, could you please ouline the steps for going about it

Thanks
Andy_Stor
Valued Contributor

Hi Davy,

You can very well create a RAID 0 on the MSA, but how to mirror it on another MSA shelf I am not really sure on how to do it in linux, I know HP has a Virtual replicator to do a snapshot copy of LUNs but not sure about linux.

Secure Path is the Multipathing software, it is used when you have two paths from the same host to the storage,filter drivers to make OS understand that it see 2 copies of the same LUN and it will mark one as the active path, if the primary path fails then the secondary will be active, it is all managed by secure path.
For linux i don`t think you need this as Linux uses the Qlogic Failover drivers if u are using a Qlogic HBA.

Andy.