108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Questions about setting up redundancy with an MSA1000 & Secure Path

SOLVED
Go to solution
CA1117225

Questions about setting up redundancy with an MSA1000 & Secure Path

Hi,

I am new to SAN's (understand from a conceptual level but never had to build one until now) and had some questions about the order of the installation. I have lots of experience using the ACU for SCSI attached storage but not sure about the best way to proceed with Fibre attached storage. Here's what I've got:

Server = DL580 G2 running Win2k3 Enterprise; 2 HBA's inside the server (281541-B21)
HBA's are connected to 2 External 8 port Fibre switches (322120-B21).
1 MSA1000 (with 2 controllers) connected to the 2 External 8 port Fibre switches.
Secure Path Software (213076-B26).

I followed the instructions and have all the hardware racked and setup correctly. I have the O/S installed and have all firmware and drivers up to date. I am at the point where I need to make the disks in the MSA1000 available to the server. I could not find much documentation out there on how to do this with redundant controllers and Secure Path. I want full redundancy in my setup (2 HBA's, 2 Switches, 2 controllers in the MSA1000) and want each redundant part to take over if its counterpart fails. My questions are as follows:

1. Do I just run the ACU and create my Arrays and then go into Disk Manager and format the drives? If so, how is the redundancy configured (e.g., is the MSA1000 intelligent enough to do this automatically)?

2. Or do I need to install Secure Path first and then run the ACU? If so, how do I do this? Is there a GUI for Secure Path (the manual kept referring the command line)? What are the steps I need to perform to setup redundancy with Secure Path?

3. Is there any other software and/or steps I need to perform before running the ACU and Secure Path setups?

4. Is there any reccomended reading/white papers on this type of configuration (something else besides the manuals that came with the hardware)?

This server is a new install and is not in production yet.

Any information/help you could provide would be appreciated.
9 REPLIES 9
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hello David,

1) Redundancy is all automatic. The MSA1000 uses active/standby controllers. The standby controller reports all logical disks to the host, too, but you cannot do I/O to them. That is why you need Secure Path. It will find out that there are two paths available and choose the one to the active controller.

2) I don't recall. You should be fine if you install Secure Path first.

There is a separate Web-GUI for Secure Path. You should have received another CD-ROM labelled 'Secure Path Manager'.

You don't need to setup anything with Secure Path. As the MSA1000 is active/standby you cannot distribute your logical disks over both controllers anyway so it does not matter which controller you choose - take the default.

3) You say you already have installed the drivers, so that should be fine.

4) I don't recall what documentation is on the CD-ROMs. Here is a URL for the MSA1000:
http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/storageworks/msa1000/documentation.html

and here is the URL for Secure Path:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Home.jsp?locale=en_US&prodTypeId=12169&prodSeriesId=315586

-----
Apart from that and while the system is not running in production you can try and make yourself familiar with 'SSP' (Selective Storage Presentation). If you connect multiple servers to the MSA1000, you might need SSP to control which server has access to which logical disk.

-----
Next step is to test if the redundancy works:
- pull the active controller
- pull cables
- turn off a fibre channel switch
BR823136

Hi,

New to SAN's too. I've got a similar setup to the one above - DL380, 2xHBA, 2 switch 2/8 internal fabric switches, 2xcontrollers & 1 msa1000.

It's all setup as per documentation & works fine but WON'T failover.

Has anyone any ideas? all running latest firmware/drivers, etc.

At my wits end with this, any help greatfully received
CA1218098

I also use a full redundant MSA1000 HA/F200: two controllers, two nodes with two HBA's, two fabric switches with wires crossed to each HBA).

I have installed the Secure Path software along with the Secure Path Manager. If I understand correctly all the fancy settings (load balancing etc.) are not applicable for my MSA1000 because it is a "simple" active/standby solution???

Thanks,

Jeffrey
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Jeffrey:

Yes, the MSA1000 currently is simply Active/Standby so there is no functionality to those options.

HP is supposed to release a firmware revision that allows active/active controllers, but I don't think it is available yet.

With active/active, Load balancing and other functionality should work.

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Let's wait until we see how active/active will work... Historically, storage arrays from the Digital/ Compaq world do not provide active paths to a single LUN through different controllers.

I have heard rumors that the MSA1000 was supposed to support HP-UX PVLINKS, but over the years I have heard so many rumors and predictions that I just lean back and wait...
BR797952

Along the same vein - if I have my MSA1000 (with redundant switches) installed and connected via (single path) FC HBAs to two DL380s being managed by Microsoft Cluster Services (and running in production mode), can I then safely install Securepath and hook up the 2nd FC HBA connections on each server? Or do I need to back out the cluster services first before installing Securepath and hooking up the 2nd connection on each server?

Thanks, Rochelle
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Rochelle:

It would be best if you could start a new topic based on your configuration. Include your configuration in detail. THis will allow you to manage the closing and point rewarding aspects of the post.

The simple answer though is you may run into a problem with Secure Path and will possibly need to back out of the cluster first, if possible.

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
CA1240335
Occasional Advisor

No, I have successfully moved from a non-redundant to redundant config. on an existing cluster.

Whilst I agree that this is not the "normal" approach I can't see why it isn't both acceptable and supportable.
Better to remain silent, and be thought a fool, than to speak up and confirm it.
BR797952

Steven and Dilbert,

As requested, please see http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=806432.

Thanks, Rochelle