1753424 Members
5100 Online
108793 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: RA4100 configuration issues

zeddy_1
Advisor

RA4100 configuration issues

I've managed to get a ML310 ACU to talk to the RA4100. The ML310 is directly connected to one of the FC cards on the RA4100. After trying to create a new array, via ACU, I get the below message:

The current array controller cannot be configured by this program. The controller did not respond correctly to configuration commands.

Possible causes for this problem include:
A hardware failure occurred.
Using an unsupported Driver.

ACU will no longer connect to the SAN. Any ideas ?
11 REPLIES 11
James Muell
Valued Contributor

The RA4100 is a pretty old device. You could try using an older version of the ACU? You could also try the Firmware Maintenance CD on the ML to see if it recognizes the disks in that chassis.
Martin Smoral
Trusted Contributor

Try connecting the ML to the other FC controller in the RA4100. The RA4100 runs in a Active/Passive mode so maybe the other controller was active at the time you ran the ACU
zeddy_1
Advisor

Just tried the other FC connector on the Ra4100 - I get a message saying it may be in active/active mode, or both in standby etc.

Martin Smoral
Trusted Contributor

Are you sure you have the right HBA and the correct driver loaded. Also do you have a good link between the devices ? What do the LED's show on the back of the HBA ? The RA4100 is a FC-AL device so you might need a FC-AL HBA.
zeddy_1
Advisor

I've added another hba to the ml310, so now have 2x qlogic qla2340 cards connected directly to the SAN. Still get this:

The current array controller cannot be configured by this program. The controller did not respond correctly to configuration commands.

Possible causes for this problem include:
A hardware failure occurred.
Using an unsupported Driver

I'm using version 7.50.23.0 of ACU, which specifically lists the RA4100 as a supported device.

Sansurfer shows both hba's connected to the SAN.

Will try running it through the switch and see if its any better.
zeddy_1
Advisor

Running via switch didn't help. Going to try and track down a console cable to see whats going on. No warning lights on the SAN either.
Thomas Martin
Trusted Contributor

Hello Eloise,

the RA4100 is an old storage system. There were special HBAs for this system. Actual HBAs dont work with this system. You need a 64-bit/66-MHz Fibre Host Adapater 120186-B21.
This HBA has an Tachyon Chip on board.
There was an older HBA with 32-Bit PCI-Bus, 223180-B21.

Thomas
zeddy_1
Advisor

Is there a way to reset the ra4100 ?

I've got a compaq hba (one of the models suggested previously) and its still not talking to the ra4100.

Have tried connecting directly to each ra4100 card, and also via an fc hub.

I've tried taking out one of the hba boards in the ra4100, and connecting to the remaining board, but get a message about hardware failure or unsupported driver.
Martin Smoral
Trusted Contributor

Now that you have the right HBA, Do you have the right Driver loaded for the HBA ?