MSA Storage
1754021 Members
8304 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

RAID 5 performance graph on physical drives shows 2 different profiles on a MSA 2050

DomHP
Occasional Visitor

RAID 5 performance graph on physical drives shows 2 different profiles on a MSA 2050

Hi,

We have a MSA 2050 with a 9 10k drive RAID 5 pool .

The first 7 drives have exactly this performance profile : (peak is daily scrubbing)

The last 2 have exactly this performance profile:

How can this be possible if the IO is striped on the 9 disks evenly ? Shouldn't all 9 drives have the exact same IO performance charts ?

Couldn't it be a warning that the last 2 disks are dying (no SMART alerts)

Thanks !

4 REPLIES 4
support_s
System Recommended

Query: RAID 5 performance graph on physical drives shows 2 different profiles on a MSA 2050

System recommended content:

1. HPE MSA 2050 Storage - Supported Configurations

2. HPE MSA 2050 User Guide

If the above information is helpful, then please click on "Thumbs Up/Kudo" icon.

Thank you for being a HPE community member.

Accept or Kudo

ArunKKR
HPE Pro

Re: RAID 5 performance graph on physical drives shows 2 different profiles on a MSA 2050

Hi, 

It could just be a reporting issue if there are no drive errors.

If the drive models and firmware are different upload the store log in below web link to check whether the drives have any firmware updates:

https://msa.ext.hpe.com/MSALogUploader.aspx

Abort any scrub jobs and execute the below command few times to check whether the disk IOPS is almost equal across the 9 drives in the disk group.

show disk-statistics

If the values are still different for 2 disks, try to reset statistics using below command:

reset disk-statistics

While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company

Accept or Kudo

DomHP
Occasional Visitor

Re: RAID 5 performance graph on physical drives shows 2 different profiles on a MSA 2050

Hi, 

Thanks for answering !

All drives have the same firmware

image.png

Stats look OK to me

image.png

So it's very strange to observe so different graphs. !

ArunKKR
HPE Pro

Hi,

It should be a reporting issue in SMU.

You could try resetting statistics and restart of management controllers to check whether it helps.

While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company

Accept or Kudo