1753808 Members
8656 Online
108805 Solutions
New Discussion

RPC service too busy, forced to reboot

KevinBCI
Occasional Contributor

RPC service too busy, forced to reboot

I apologize in advance, my experience with SAN's and clusters is very limited. Hopefully someone can assist. I have x2 ProLiant DL380 G4 storage servers running in a cluster with a MSA 1000 SAN kit. This setup has been running for about 4 1/2 years with no trouble till the last 3 months. It would start locking up on us with no indications of a problem, accessing any of the file shares on it was intolerably slow. When I would attempt to log in it would just sit at loading user profile. When attempting to connect to computer management it tells me the RPC service is too busy. The only error messages in the event logs prior to forcing a reboot are W32 Time errors Event 46 "The time service encountered an error and was forced to shut down. The error was: 0x800706BB: The RPC server is too busy to complete this operation"

The servers are running Windows Server 2003 Enterprise SP2. I upgraded to SR 6.4 a couple weeks ago, then 6.9 last night. After last nights upgrade it happened again a few hours later. I've updated the firmware for the MSA 1000 controller to 5.30 and also the firmware for the 6i controller to 2.84.

Any suggestions or tips would be most helpful.