108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Remove unwanted IQN from MSA 2040

SOLVED
Go to solution
R S Burnell
Frequent Advisor

Remove unwanted IQN from MSA 2040

We have a 3 node cluster that uses an MSA 2040 for the shared storage and we recently had a problem with one of the nodes. In the end we had to rebuild the node and gave it a new name but we now see the new IQN and the old one but need to remove the reference to the old name (it's showing as Discovered).

We've just restarted both Management Controllers thinking that it would remove any cached information regarding the unwanted IQN but it's still there. Another forum post suggests that we need to restart the Storage Controllers and I wanted to see if that should solve our problem?

Cheers for now

Russell

8 REPLIES 8
Shawn_K
HPE Pro

Hello,

If you apply a knickname to the IQN you wish to remove it will then show the option to delete. You can find more information in the SMU guide: https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=c04220794

Start on page 79 with creating and deleting an initiator.

Cheers,

Shawn

I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo

R S Burnell
Frequent Advisor

Shawn,

Thanks for the response but we had a Nickname assigned to the IQN originally but the "Delete Host" options were always greyed out (even after removing any mappings).

I used the CLI to try and remove the host and all that acheived was to remove the nickname and leave the IQN.

I assume that the entry has been cachd somewhere as the physical host in question now has a different name (which we can see as an initiator but isn't showing as Discovered).

Cheers for now

Russell

Solution

I think you added the Host in MSA manually with the help of IQN of iSCSI initiator of the Host which is showing now as old entry.

Have you tried to delete the Host from MSA?

After that have you tried to restart both Storage Controllers?

After that you should again add Host with the help of new IQN

Hope this helps!
Regards
Subhajit

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!

***********************************************************************************

I work for HPE
Accept or Kudo
R S Burnell
Frequent Advisor

I can't remember if we added the host originally using the IQN or if it was Discovered but we've been unable to remove/delete the entry using the web interface or CLI commands.

I think it's worth restarting the Storage Controllers to see if that helps to resolve the problem but am unsure if we should restart them individually or both at the same time?

Cheers for now

Russell

Shawn_K
HPE Pro

Hi Russell,

A suggestion for you. When deleting the unwanted IQN if the hosts are actively connected you are likely getting into a tangle with the controller being able to see the WWN of the host. You might try removing the ethernet cables that connect that host (either from the switch or directly from the host). Then try deleting both the old and new IQN entry.

If you reboot the storage controllers, do both at the same time.

Cheers,
Shawn

I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo

R S Burnell
Frequent Advisor

Shawn,

Thanks for the suggestion......we could try physically removing the iSCSI cables (Direct Connect) from the rebuilt host and see if that allows us to remove the unwanted IQN before we try the Storage Controller.

We've got some downtime shceduled for the 29th of this month so I'll let you know how we get on.

Cheers for now

Russell

R S Burnell
Frequent Advisor

Shawn,

We disconnected the renamed\rebuilt server from the SAN but were still unable to remove the phantom host entry.

We're going to restart the storage controllers tomorrow morning and will let you know how we get on.

Cheers for now

Russell
R S Burnell
Frequent Advisor

We re-started the Storage Controllers and the "phantom" IQN was still showing but now as Non Discovered and I was able to remove it from the GUI.

Thanks for the confirmation

Cheers for now

Russell