108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Replace disk with Read Errors. How

SOLVED
Go to solution
HanCas
Valued Contributor

Replace disk with Read Errors. How

We have a MSA which is showing a disk with Read Erros, however the disk is not failed yet.

We have a spare disk avaialble for replacement, and the config has a spare assigned to the dg.

How can safely replace the disk with read errors. I have not found a way to remove the disk with read errors from the vdisk/dg. Simply pulling the drive does also not seem a wise thing to do, since there is chance you pull the disk in the midst of an write operation and corrupt data this way. Should we wait untill the disk is marked failed?

The disk is predictive fail, but up and running

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Replace disk with Read Errors. How

If you have any drive which is in predictive failure state then you need to force fail the drive by physically pulling it out from the slot. You no need to worry about data and vdisk because that will be taking care by MSA controller and RAID level configured on the vdisk.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Subhajit

I am an HPE employee

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!

***********************************************************************************

I work for HPE
Accept or Kudo
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

you cannot corrupt data that way, because the write would not be acknowledged by the disk and the controller will take care.
you probably need to make the new disk a spare.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

HanCas
Valued Contributor

The disk state is RUN. It has reported some read errors, but not a predictive failure state

Solution

I don't know what is RUN state of drive. Never seen this.

Coming to your issue, if few read error and disk going on good state then you may no need to replace the drive.

Still if you want to replace any drive which is part of any vdisk then you can simply pull out the drive and replace it. You no need to worry about data write or data corruption - all will be taking care by MSA Controller and RAID level of the vdisk.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Subhajit

I am an HPE employee

***********************************************************************************

I work for HPE
Accept or Kudo