108722 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Replace drive in RAID 6 Array throwing errors MSA2324fc

SOLVED
Go to solution
bgibsonin
Occasional Contributor

Replace drive in RAID 6 Array throwing errors MSA2324fc

On an MSA2324fc, I have a drive in a RAID 6 array where one of the drives is throwing errors.  Each time the error has occured, the system reports that data was recovered, but I want to replace this failing drive.  My question is, what is the proper way to replace this failing drive?

Should I simply pull the drive and let the system use one of the global spares to re-build and then insert a replacement drive and make it the global spare?

Thanks,

Brett

2 REPLIES 2
AnkitM
Trusted Contributor
Solution

All the HP MSA drives are hot plug. It is not always neccessary to replace the disk until disk starts getting medium errors but if you still wish to replace the disk you may :

- Remove the Disk needs to be replaced

- Insert new disk

- Set the new disk as a Vdisk/Global Spare

Do note, that IO Errors, Read Errors, Recovered read errors are part of the Disk Life Cycle. Until you are getting tons of it, it is okay to ignore it. Having said, that if you have mission critical data on those vdisks then there is no harm in replacing it as well. Better safe then sorry! ;)

Was your question answered correctly? If so, please remember to mark your question Answered when you get the correct answer and award KUDOS! to the person providing the answer. This helps others searching for a similar issue.
bgibsonin
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the reply.

Brett