7593 Online
108809 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Replace failed disk on MSA P2000 G3

PhilBer
Visitor

Replace failed disk on MSA P2000 G3

Hello to everyone,

I had to replace a failed disk on the MSA with no spare disk configured so I followed the instrunctions as reported here but after a while, as reported in the log I got another failure warning for the new disk after the Vdisk recostruction procedure on the array ended apparently with no problem but a new failure disk message suddenly appeared for the new disk. I thought that the new disk was damaged in some way so I tried the same procedure using another new disk, exactly the same disk, brand and model of the failed one, and I've got the same error.

Here it's the system error overview, then here there is the info log regarding the first disk, and the corresponding warning.  Same things happened for the Seagate disk: info and warn logs.

Any help will be very appreciated since the storage is out of warranty.

TIA

Philip

5 REPLIES 5
Shawn_K
HPE Pro

Hi Philip,

The warning messages show the disk had errors which is likely the reason the disk failed. Just be aware you are running a version of firmware on those drives that was released in 2011. There is a newer version available.

Also, HPE has not sold that 600Gb drive in some time. The drive manufacturer no longer makes a 600Gb 15k LFF HDD. I do not know where or when the drive was purchased but it could be you are getting refurbished drives which might not be the best quality.

I suggest you backup the data on the system and try another drive from a trusted source.

Cheers,
Shawn

I work for Hewlett Packard Enterprise. The comments in this post are my own and do not represent an official reply from HPE. No warranty or guarantees of any kind are expressed in my reply.

I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo

PhilBer
Visitor

Hi Shawn,

thank you for your help very much. I bought the Seagate disk as a brand new one, it was sealed on the arrival, as I worite I tried before with another disk that failed as well, so I thought that it was a refurbished one too, this is the reason because I bought the Seagate drive. At think that I will contact the official support before continuing since I'm not so confident on this product.

Thank you again.

Philip

Shawn_K
HPE Pro

Hello,

If you have tried two new disks, then there might be a larger problem. My concern is there might actually be a second drive that is faulty which is why the rebuild cannot complete. A log review would help determine where any additional errors are and provide next steps.

I suggest you get a full backup of the data on the Vdisk and log a support case. They can review the logs and help with next steps.

Cheers,
Shawn

I work for Hewlett Packard Enterprise. The comments in this post are my own and do not represent an official reply from HPE. No warranty or guarantees of any kind are expressed in my reply.

I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo

FGC
Occasional Visitor

I have exactly the same problem (failed HITACHI 600GB disk, replaced with a new Seagate disk, fails after the RAID is rebuilt, replaced with another Seagate disk and fails again).

Can this be a hardware problem with the MSA P2000 G3 device (a faulty controller or something similar), or is there a solution?

Thanks!

Sunitha_Mod

Hello @FGC

Thank you for writing to us! Since you have posted in an old topic and there is no response yet, I would recommend you to create a new topic using the create "New Discussion" button, so the experts can check and assist you further. 

Thanks,
Sunitha G
I'm an HPE employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo