108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Replacing Drives in the Storageworks RA4100 & 4314

SOLVED
Go to solution
Paul MC_1
Occasional Contributor

Replacing Drives in the Storageworks RA4100 & 4314

The RA4100 we have has 36 GB and 72 GB HD's and we want to replace the 36 GB drives with 72 GB Hard drives. Is it possible to replace one 36 GB at a time to upgrade them to 72 GB drives. The same for the 4314 we have 72 GB drives and we would like to replace them with Ultr320 300 GB drives. The Hard drives are Ultr320 drives
Can we do this without any data interruption with these units. I am unable to find any documentation on these units. We have added hard drives with other HP Arrays without any interruption.

Thanks,

3 REPLIES 3
James Muell
Valued Contributor
Solution

Yes, Generally you can, The rebuilds will take IO away from any other activity. The rebuild time should probably be set to Medium because sometimes if the rebuild is low priority it will just stop or hang. Take your time doing this and ensure one rebuild is complete be4 starting the next. The drive sizes are not that large compared to the sizes selling today. The rule: the larger the drive the longer the rebuild time and potential for failures.
GL
Paul MC_1
Occasional Contributor

Do you know where I can get documentation for these products
James Muell
Valued Contributor

These devices are ELO'd. YOu can try looking through the retired HP Quickspecs:

http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/QuickSpecs_Archives/QuickSpecs_Archives.html
Its tedious. Select a year; then a month; then on the lefthand side look for storage products; then if your lucky Select Enclosures.
Just keep drilling down.
I found the 4300 enclosure under 2001.

Back to your issue, One way I would approach this if I had to do it would be to review the arrays and luns and try a test with an array with the fewest luns. Or, select an array with the smallest disk size.