1753772 Members
5174 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Replacing drives with cloned drives in AJ800A

AJ800A
Frequent Visitor

Replacing drives with cloned drives in AJ800A

If I replace the 12 drives currently in an AJ800A with the clones of those drives (byte for byte copies of the drives restored out to new drives of identical make and model) and restart the AJ800A, will it recognize that these are not the original drives and try to rebuild itself or will it allow me to see the original data?  If it can tell that the cloned drives are not the original drives, is there some way to make it believe that they are identical and that they should be treated as if they were the original drives?  Thanks in advance for any help and insight.

4 REPLIES 4
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: Replacing drives with cloned drives in AJ800A

What is the reason for doing this?

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
AJ800A
Frequent Visitor

Torsten, thanks for your response.  AJ800A is powered off and I don't have the server or the servers that may have been attached to it.  I need to preserve the data from the array and minimize any changes to the data in the process.  Will AJ800A read the serial numbers from the drives' firmware and recognize that these are clones rather than the original drives?  Where does AJ800A store the drives' serial numbers (if that's what it uses), in its own firmware or somewhere on the array?  Thanks for your help.

Best regards,
Suman

Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

The configuration data is stored as metadata on the disks.

If you have a real 1:1 copy it might work.

However, I don't really understand what you are doing ... why cloning the disks if you don't have a server to access the array?

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
AJ800A
Frequent Visitor

Torsten, thank you for your continued help.  One more, hopefully, last request.  Could you please point me to any documentation that describes the power up process and any self testing that AJ800A performs during the power up process.  Also, any documentation that might help me understand if AJ800A keeps track of any configuration data anywhere else other than "as metadata on the disks."  BTW, using a hex editor I can see the serial numbers of the drives in the images of the drives.  The serial numbers are 20 characters long rather than just the first 8 characters that are printed on the drive label.  This makes me think that AJ800A most likely read the serial numbers from the hard drives' firmware.  Thanks again for your help.

Best regards,
Suman