1752785 Members
5996 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: SAN/Domain ID's for switches

Prasad Marimuthu

SAN/Domain ID's for switches

Hi There,

Am having 4 switches and would like to setup an small SAN enviroment for test purpose.

Before I proceed further, can you give me with some additional info on

- domain id for san switches
- fabric model I should setup

You info on this is much appreciated.

Thanks
Prasad
3 REPLIES 3
Sheldon Smith
HPE Pro

Since you gave us NO information about what you are trying to do, there is not a lot we can tell you. A little more information about the switches (model, firmware), your storage (model, firmware), and the hosts (OS, version) would be helpful.

The domain ID number needs to be unique between any switches that are connected.

As far as fabric model, do the hosts have 2 fibre ports? If so, then it is simple. Two pairs of switches, no connection between the pairs. If the hosts only have one port, start with the fastest switch, connect your storage to that, and go from there.

Note: While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company

Accept or Kudo

Prasad Marimuthu

Hi There,

Am intended to setup and Test Lab for SAN Enviroment.

Basically I have 4 GB switch X 4, with 440f firmware and 4 host connected with it.

What I wanted to achieve was, wanted to have proper domain ID setup then enable the connection at the both end.

FYI, am using HP5000-EVA.

Hope this explain further....

Probably advice me which type of san model I should practice here. Example, cascade or x/y fabrics mode.....other which you think may be useful, in this sense....

Thanks
Prasad
Stephen Kebbell
Honored Contributor

Hi,

as Sheldon already said, the easiest model is 2 fabrics with 2 switches each.
Configure each switch with a unique domain ID, e.g. 1,2,3 and 4.
Connect an FC-Cable between switches 1 and 3. As long as no zoning is defined, they should merge to form a single fabric. (run the command fabricshow to check). Then connect switch 2 to switch 4. This is your second fabric. Best practice is to always have 2 independent fabrics.
Then connect the EVA to the switches (e.g. switch 1 and 2). If your EVA has Active/Passive Firmware (VCS 3.xxx) then you connect FP1 of Controller A and FP2 of Controller B to switch 1, and FP1 of Controller B and FP2 of controller A to switch 2. If you have Active/Active EVA Firmware, connect FP1 of both controllers to Switch 1 and FP2 of both controllers to switch 2.
Each host should have 2 HBAs for a proper redundant config. Connect one HBA to switch 1 (or 3), and the other one to switch 2 (or 4).

Regards,
Stephen