4676 Online
108756 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: SAN MSA 2050 - change host port mode

thinhnguyen
Occasional Contributor

SAN MSA 2050 - change host port mode

Hi All,

i have SAN MSA 2050 system with 4 port host connection and defualt host port mode is FC. I'm using port 3,4 of controller A & port 3,4 of controller B  to connect with my host via FC protocol.

Now, i would like to use port 1,2 of controller A & port 1,2 of controller B connect with ethernet switch (core switch) and map some new LUN to a new host via iSCSI protocol.

Question1: Can i do it?

Question2: After i change FC mode to FC-iSCSI mode. Do we need to reconfig FC mapping on port 3,4 of each controller be cause the current config mapping is gone?

Question3: After change FC mode to FC-iSCSI mode. We will define which group port is FC and which group port is iSCSI? I mean port 1,2 is FC and port 3,4 is iSCSI or port 1,2 is iSCSI and port 3,4 is FC, in my situation i would like keep port 3,4 is FC and port 1,2 will be defined iSCSI. 

Thank You very much!

6 REPLIES 6
arun_r
HPE Pro

Hi Thinhnguyen ,

Not all combinations are supported for host port mode.

Pleasse refer the page number 18 of MSA quickspecs sheet for the supported host port modes:

https://h20195.www2.hpe.com/v2/getdocument.aspx?docname=a00008276enw

Please ensure that appropriate SFP module is installed.

Both the storage controllers will restart automatically after changing the host port mode. and a down time is mandatory.

The mapping will remain same if the host port mode of the specific port is unchanged.

For example A1 A2 A3 A4 is configured as FC initially.

A1, A2 has mapping already configured

Now host port mode is changed to A1 A2 FC and A3 A4 Iscsi.

Ideally the mapping of A1 A2 should still remain as it is.

For A3 A4 you will need to configure mapping.

Unfortunately using A3 A4 as FC and A1 A2 as iscsi is not supported as per the table in quickspecs sheet.

I am an HPE Employee

Accept or Kudo

thinhnguyen
Occasional Contributor

Hi  Arun,

Thank for your great feedback!

The last question: So after change host port mode and system restart , we can change host port type (between fc and iscsi) for each port on web interface management?

Thank You!

arun_r
HPE Pro

Hi,

Individual port host port mode cannot be set. Host port mode of A1,A2,B1,B2 should be identical. Similarly host port mode of A3,A4,B3,B4 should be identical. Please refer to the table in quickspecs sheet for information on supported combinations.

SFP in Host Port 1 must match SFP in Host Port 2
┬н
SFP in Host Port 3 must match SFP in Host Port 4
I am an HPE Employee

Accept or Kudo

drehstrom
Visitor

Hi arun_r,

I'm running into a similar problem here. In our configuration Ports 1 and 2 are set to FC-Mode, 3 and 4 to SCSI. Now I want to change this to a straight FC-Mode on all Ports. I know how to do it and I got the proper SFPs, so far so good. But we're talking about a live environment, so the downtime you mentioned is very critical. I understand, that both controllers have to be restarted but are they doing this simultaneously or sequentially? And if they do it sequentially does the second controller wait till the first one is up and running again?

Our wiring is redundant, so it wouldn't come to a downtime if at least one controller (and connection) remains online at all times.

Thanks for your help
Stephan

arun_r
HPE Pro

Hi Stephan,

Both controllers would be restarted simultaneously and that's the reason for suggesting a down time.

I am an HPE Employee

Accept or Kudo

drehstrom
Visitor

Thank you for your quick response.

That's too bad, I don't understand why this needs to be an offline task, though there are two controllers...
Anyway, seems we have to do it the hard way.

Have a nice day.