1752788 Members
6185 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

SAN P2000 G3 SAS - Noise issue.

sakol_pran
Occasional Visitor

SAN P2000 G3 SAS - Noise issue.

This SAN is running great in my system but one thing that I get complain from my customer is the noise.

I believe the noise is from the fans at the power supplies. Is there any one know how to reduce this noise?

Note: Sever room temperature is about 20 -22 C.

4 REPLIES 4
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Re: SAN P2000 G3 SAS - Noise issue.

Hi, 

are both power supplies connected?

Has it always been this loud or maybe a fan has broken?
I guess you could disconnect unneccessary power supplies.. or isolate the room.

Made any other modifications like open chassi, don't have empty slots filled with blanks etc?

Which firmware are you on? Maybe there has been improvements to this?

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=12169&prodSeriesId=4118559&swItem=MTX-518d65a5f20041dfa339f3c967&prodNameId=4209076&swEnvOID=1005&swLang=8&taskId=135&mode=5

As far as I can see there's no entries about fan.

And according to the CLI reference manual there's no way to alter the fan speed on the P2000 via the CLI. 

sakol_pran
Occasional Visitor

Hi Johan

I just got back from the business trip.

Thanks for the tips. I am going to update firmware in SAN and see if it help. I will update this issue later.

Cheers

sakol_pran
Occasional Visitor

The fans are not broken. Firmware has been upgraded to the newest version TS230P008. The SAN is still having the loud noise.

Anyway, the definition of " Loud noise" can be vary depends on who is listenning. I just compare the noise from server DL380 G7 and this SAN and the difference is obvious.

I am going have a sperate room for this SAN anyway.

Thanks for support.

Cheers

Sakol

ChrisW01

I agree, the fans in the MSA2000 series are loud, due to the speed they run at.. The MSA2000 is much noisier than the old MSA20 SAN arrays (which we used to have a number of) for example.

I think the reason they are run at a high speed to get enough air flow through the unit as there are only the two fans in the PSUs to cool the unit and drives, whereas the older models had additional fans in fan modules providing sufficient air flow without high RPM.