MSA Storage
1748021 Members
4535 Online
108757 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: SAN Switch 16

Michael Guryan

SAN Switch 16

I need to do a password reset on a SAN Switch 16. The documented steps don't reset the admin or user password. The switch is running firmware 2.6.2c. Any suggestions?
4 REPLIES 4
Sheldon Smith
HPE Pro

That's been discussed in here before. Unfortunately, AFAIK, the only way to reset the Fabric OS password is to invite an HP Services engineer...

Note: While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company

Accept or Kudo

Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Mike:

Which Switch do you have? Does it have a Serial port on it?

You can call Brocade and they can give you some steps on resetting the password during the boot up sequence of the switch, but you need to be able to acces the switch from the serial port.

If you have a SAN Switch 16 (the one with the 2line display), then you have no external serial port. The SAN Switch 16-el has an external serialport.

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
Michael Guryan

It has no serial port.
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Yes, it does. You just can not see it. You would need to take off the face plate and/or top cover to get to it. There is a "9pin" junction like on a PC motherboard to attach an external 9pin serial adaptor, again.. like on a motherboard that does not have the connector built into the back.

It is a pain in the rear, but that iswhat Brocade will have you do since you need to get to the pre-os shell to reset the switch/password.

I suggest talking to HP first, then Brocade if they can't do it.

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)