Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAN Switch replacement

Icoaty
Occasional Contributor

SAN Switch replacement

Hi
I need to replace a B series SAN Switch 4/16 with a B series SAN switch 4/64. While researching the use of uploading and downloading config files I discovered a recommendation not to use config files from different models of switches. Would anyone know of any documentation or whitpapers detailing the best procedure to perform this migration.

tia

Ian
2 REPLIES 2
Chris Rosan
Valued Contributor

Re: SAN Switch replacement

Ian,

How much do you have configured on the switch? is it mainly zoneing stuff you want to bring across?

I take it your're also trying to keep downtime to a minimum.

I can think of a couple of ways you can get around this:

Export the config from the old and the new switches - then copy the parts that you want to bring across into the exported config from the new switch (i'd make a copy first) and re-import it.

OR

Depending on your licences on the switches, connect the new switch to your existing fabric. You should then be able to setup the Zone's and/or have them migrate into this switch. Save the config and then swap in the new switch.
James Muell
Valued Contributor

Re: SAN Switch replacement

Is this switch in a fabric? Is it redundant? If you added the switch to the fabric, you could add a new port alias to the zone and move the cable. There would be minimal downtime for the host. Later remove the old port. etc etc.