MSA Storage
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SNMP monitoring of HP MSA2000 FC (need MIBs)

igor-k
Occasional Advisor

SNMP monitoring of HP MSA2000 FC (need MIBs)

Hi everyone.

We have Zabbix monitoring solution in our environment, and it gets a lot of usefull information via SNMP from several HP Proliant servers. Now I want to make Zabbix get such information from HP MSA 2000 FC disk array, but I have faced some problems. I did snmpwalk command and found nothing usefull in the output. Just common things like firmware version, device model and serial number, network interfaces statistics and others. No RAID specific information like physical disks and logical volumes (LUNs) condition, performance (IOPS) and so on. Did I miss something? Should I do some additional actions with builtin software/firmware to add extra OIDs support? Can anybody provide me with MIBs containing usefull information or just some OIDs, for example with physical disks condition, please. Zabbix template is highly appreciated too :).

3 REPLIES 3
hvhari
Esteemed Contributor

Re: SNMP monitoring of HP MSA2000 FC (need MIBs)

You should be able to use the MIBs from HP SIM available at http://h18013.www1.hp.com/products/servers/management/hpsim/index.html?jumpid=go/hpsim

It can report any events within MSA (like probable disk failures, vdisk issues etc.)

Regards,
Hari

If this post was useful , click the Kudos Star on the left side to say Thanks!
igor-k
Occasional Advisor

Thanks, but can you tell me the name of the MIB file which contains, for example, vdisk issues events? OID path is good too. Actually I need exact OID to put it into the Zabbix system but the problem is I don't know even the MIB file name wich I would explore for nesessary information. It's timeconsuming method to explore all the available MIBs and, as I said befor, snmpwalk didn't tell me anything usefull - I was able to find only very common information.

Once again, thank you.

PS. Is HP SIM free software?

hvhari
Esteemed Contributor

msa2000traps.mib is the file. I have not used this kind of setup before. What I understand is the description of events & details on event is controlled by the firmware on the MSA. If you enable the SNMP in the MSA controller and use this MIB in your monitoring software that should be sufficient for getting alerts.

Some additional information can be had from the  Reference guide of respective MSA model. Eg. here is the link for MSA 2000 G2  reference guide http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c01756042/c01756042.pdf.

Yes, HP SIM is a free software and it can be used to monitor a wide range of HP Servers, Storage etc. You can find more information on HP SIM from the earlier link I have posted.

Regards,
Hari

If this post was useful , click the Kudos Star on the left side to say Thanks!