108795 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: San Switch 16

SOLVED
Go to solution
BR788674
Occasional Contributor

San Switch 16

I currently have 2 Compaq 1Gb SAN Switch 16's with firmware 2.6.1c running on them and have purchased a couple of new HP 2/1Gb Switches that have 3.1.1 firmware.

Can I/Do I need to upgrade the firmware on the existing 2 switches before connecting the new ones?
4 REPLIES 4
Stephen Kebbell
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi,

you don't need to update the firmware, but there is one parameter you need to verify before you connect the new ones:
fabric.ops.mode.pidFormat
Also called CoreSwitchPID.
(you can check it by running configShow from a telnet prompt)
It's needed for communication larger switches (more than 16 ports), something about the way ports are addressed.
1Gbit Switches had this default set to 0, newer 2Gbit Switches have it set to 1. For the 2 switches to merge into a single fabric, some parameters have to be identical, including this parameter. If it's not, when you connect the 2 switches, the interlink port LED will blink, and the switch will report an "incompatible" E-port. To change this, you must disable the switch (switchdisable), then run the configure command. Modify Fabric Parameters, accept default for all values except CoreSwitchPID format. Then run "switchenable" to re-enable the switch. It doesn't really matter on which switch you do it, as you don't have any 32 or 64-Port switches (unless you plan to purchase any in the future). So set it to the same value on all switches.
Also make sure the new switches have no zoning config on them before you add them to the existing fabric. Then they will accept the zoning info from the existing switches.

The SAN Design Reference Guide - Chapter 3, has some info, as well as the Fabric OS 3.1.x/4.1.x Procedures Guide.
http://h200007.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00093939/c00093939.pdf
http://h200001.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/lpg29430/lpg29430.pdf

Regards,

Stephen
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Dan,
I have attached an example how to turn it on on the 1 GBit switches. Turning it off on the 2 GBit switches will look similar.

HP suggest that you turn it on, but, as Stephen has written, that requires you to disable of the switch. If you have a redundant fabric you can do this one-by-one, but it has another effect:
the fibre channel adresses will change after you have enabled the bit. That means that some operating systems like HP-UX (and I beleive AIX) will no longer see the disks, so you have to reconfigure new I/O paths.
BR788674
Occasional Contributor

Hi,

Thanks very much for the info and the links. All servers currently have 2 cards in, so I shall take down the switches one at a time to make the necessary changes.

Kind Regards

Dan
San Switch 16

Check up the first:
1. Check PID. PID should be IDENTICAL to both switches.
2. Chech Domain ID. ID should be VARIOUS for both switches.
3. Check ports type, through which are connected switches.
Port type should be E_port:
portcfgislmode or portcfglongdistance (this command requires an Extended Fabrics license).
4. If you connect IDENTICAL switch, on both switches should be off (disable) interopmode:
interopmode 0.
If on one switch interopmode enable, and on other switch interopmode disable, that will arise the following error:
E-Port segmented,(incompatible),
and Port Status LED will be "Slow-flashing green (on one second, off one second)" that means "Port is online but segmented, indicating a loopback cable or incompatible switch".