MSA Storage
1752376 Members
5812 Online
108787 Solutions
New Discussion

Serverless backup through FC possible with MSL6030 and Backup Exec?

jfk8680
Occasional Advisor

Serverless backup through FC possible with MSL6030 and Backup Exec?

Hello,

I am fairly new to SAN environments so forgive me for possibly asking for the obvious:

We have an EVA4000 SAN with HSV200 controllers, Cisco MDS 9020 fabric switches, a MSL6030 tape library and class-c blades in a c7000 enclosure. We are using Backup Exec 11d to perform backups of our servers. For as far as I can tell the tape library is connected to the fabric using two NSR e1200-320 interfaces but I don't think we are using them optimally at the moment. There are Backup Exec Remote Agents installed on all the servers and it looks like we are backing up the servers over our LAN (through the remote agent) and then the Backup Exec server processes the data and writes it to tape. Now I have read some stuff about serverless backup and native FC backup but I'm not sure if these technologies are possible with our setup and if so, how to implement them...

If I'm correct, we would gain a large backup performance increase by implementing a serverless backup, directly over the SAN fabric, right?

Could some please explain how this kind of backup works (or possibly point me to an existing document or thread?) and some quick pointers on how to proceed??

Thanks!

Jeffrey
1 REPLY 1
JR-Pounds
Advisor

Re: Serverless backup through FC possible with MSL6030 and Backup Exec?

Not sure if Veritas BackupExec can do the SAN based backup, but do know that Veritas NetBackup can use the SSO (Shared Storage Option) to designate a hast as a media server and keep the backup traffic off of the LAN.