cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sharing LUN between 2 VMs...

Sean Meuser
Occasional Visitor

Sharing LUN between 2 VMs...

I have 2 VM boxes that need access to the same LUN. What is the best way to share this LUN between the two Virtual machines?

I am currently using an EVA4400 FC SAN environment and using vShpere 4. Both VMs are Windows Server 2008.

Thank you.
4 REPLIES 4
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Re: Sharing LUN between 2 VMs...

You need to set up an RDM (raw device mapping) to a separate virtual disk that will contain the data. Check the VMware documentation:

Setup for Failover Clustering and Microsoft Cluster Service
http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vsphere4/r40_u1/vsp_40_u1_mscs.pdf

Please note that this will NOT give you a file system that is concurrently shared by both Windows servers (e.g. you create a file on server A E:\ and you immediately see it on server B E:\). NTFS is not a shared FS and you must buy 3rd party software.
Jan Soska
Honored Contributor

Hello Uwe,
could you recomend a 3rd party software which provide cluster option for ntfs? We think of similar setup on 2 VM's, with no success yet.
Thanks
Jan

Why would you not use Microsoft Clustering between the two Windows VMs?

Note: While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company

Accept or Kudo

Highlighted
Jan Soska
Honored Contributor

We want use Windows Standard for our purpose. Is Microsoft Clustering available for standard version? We have no experience with it.

Jan