MSA Storage
1751726 Members
5784 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Slow Down Boot Process 2/16 FF switch

CA1347465

Slow Down Boot Process 2/16 FF switch

Anyone know if you can slow down the boot process on a 2/16 FF SAN switch to allow for other attached devices to boot up before the SAN switch itself i.e Disk Array!?

Cheers
6 REPLIES 6
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Power it up later?

Seriously, why do you want to do that? You normally make sure that the infrastructure is up first.
CA1347465

Hi

More so for automating a sequenced boot up after a possible failure in hardware or software config / update!

Cheers
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

But the proper sequencing I am aware of is:

- infrastructure (switches) first
- storage devices
- servers

I have seen problems on some peripherical components that did not link properly when the switch was a bit too slow.
CA1347465

Very true however my question is geared at NOT being able to touch the equipment after a failure i.e in power -

You could be in the pub having a beer!!

Thought you might be able to script the startup time on the SAN switch to come up before the MSA disk array! Note the array is fully populated! so takes some time to come online!
krusty
Honored Contributor

Hi Glen,

I think I have an answer for you. I know APC makes some rack PDU's that have power on delays. I think using that feature would allow you to control the power up sequence the way you want. I agree with Uwe on the proper power on sequencing, also.I don't have the deep link, but you could probably poke around there website at:

http://www.apc.com

Cheers,

Curt
"In Vino Veritas"
CA1347465

Thank you both for your comments - I will take a look at APC's products, its not a function / option within the switch!

Cheers
Glen