MSA Storage
1753278 Members
5661 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Storage Works SAN switch 2/16-EL - cannot ping

Colin Dawson

Storage Works SAN switch 2/16-EL - cannot ping

We have two off-line SAN switches that we are able to ping without problem. We also have two on-line SAN switches that we are unable to ping. The configuration (showconfig) appears to be the same for each. The IP addresses, gateway etc. are identical on both the off-line and on-line kit.

Does anyone have any ideas as to why we're unable to ping the on-line kit?

Cheers.
5 REPLIES 5
tharrold
Frequent Advisor

Have you checked that the network cables are actually plugged into the same subnet/vlan?

Swap the cable from a switch that you can ping.

by "off line", I'm assuming you just mean "not yet in production".

-tjh
Colin Dawson

Cheers Thomas,

I was able to ping one of the SAN switches up until the point I changed the final segment of the IP address. The IP remained within the same subnet.

By 'off-line' I mean we have a supposedly identical system to the 'live' system in which we can test modifications before making them to the 'on-line' system.

I've looked at the configuration of both the off-line switches and on-line switches and they appear to be identical.

On Monday I'll try returning the IP address to the old IP to see if I am able to ping again.

Thanks,
Colin.
tharrold
Frequent Advisor

Possible IP address conflict? Duplicate IP?
Pau Garcia i Quiles
Frequent Advisor

Colin, that "I was able to access the switch until I changed the ending of the IP address" sounds like a netmask problem.

What was the IP when you were able to ping the switch, what's the IP now and what's your netmask?
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Make sure that you don't have IP addresses in the same subnet on the LAN port and the internal Fibre Channel interface.