108759 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Storage remains full

SOLVED
Go to solution
SV101
Occasional Advisor

Storage remains full

Can someone tell me what to do to free up some space, because disks remain full.

And why the host shows there is free space, but in SMU free space is different?

7 REPLIES 7

In order to help you need some information from your end,

1> MSA model and Controller firmware version

2> You are dealing with Linear or Virtual array?

3> Please share Host Operating System version

4> Please share screenshot from array and from Host OS which exactly shows space difference?

Hope this helps!
Regards
Subhajit

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!

***********************************************************************************

I work for HPE
Accept or Kudo
Shawn_K
HPE Pro

Hello,

It sounds as if you have virtual storage and may have over committ enabled. This would mean the storage can fill up once the capacity on the disks has been reached but the host may show free space.

There are several steps you can take. If you are using snapshots you may want to delete any unneeded or old snapshots. Are there VMs you can Vmotion to other storage?

If you can add more drives and create another disk group this would also help.

Otherwise please log a support case to HPE for further help.

Cheers,
Shawn

I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo

SV101
Occasional Advisor

Here some details:

MSA 2040 iSCSI direct attached to host DL380 with ESX 6

FW is GL225R003

Virtual array with 2 Volumes: 1 with SSDs and 1 with SAS disks, Autotiering enabled

SV101
Occasional Advisor

Not able to figure out how to attach images

Solution

1st of all it depends upon what type of volume created on ESX. It means Thin, Thick Lazy Zeroed and Thick Eager Zeroed.

If you concern about space reclaim then UNMAP comes into picture for Thing provisioned volume only where after deletion of data or complete VMDK file ESX need to tell MSA that you also reclaim physical space now.  This is extremely slow process as MSA Page size only 4MB. You can check live data from MSA CLI by running below command,

show disk-group-statistics

From the above command output you can see columns "Pages Reclaimed" and "Pages Unmapped per Minute".

You can check the below article to get some idea how space reclaim works with the use of unmap command in Vmware,

https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/2057513

In case of Thick all space already Zeroed out so from MSA perspective it's always occupied space. Now in VMFS level whatever you are doing doesn't matter for MSA.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Subhajit

***********************************************************************************

I work for HPE
Accept or Kudo

At the time of reply you can see just below the reply box there is one button called "Choose Files". You click on it and browse your files to attach it.

Anyway I already replied technical things in my previous post..........you can go through it and try to understand your setup. Based on that only you will be able to understand space reclaim possible or not.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Subhajit

I work for HPE
Accept or Kudo

@SV101........do you have any update or outstanding query?

Request you to please update on the forum so that everyone can get the update who are all following.

If you have no further query and you are satisfied with answers then kindly mark the forum as resolved.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Subhajit

I work for HPE
Accept or Kudo