MSA Storage
1753674 Members
5334 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: StorageWorks 2000sa G2 + ESX 4.0

Rene Herwig

StorageWorks 2000sa G2 + ESX 4.0

Has anyone a combination of the new G2 SAS MSAs(MSA2312sa or MSA2324sa) and VMware vSphere(ESX 4.0) up and running?

In the VMware HCLs the new G2 SAS MSAs and also the HP SC08GE HBA is only supported on ESX 3.5 .

We want to run two DL380G6 Servers in combination with one MSA2312sa and VMware ESX 4.0 ...

Does anyone know if these components will be official supported for VMware ESX 4.0 in the future?
5 REPLIES 5
mathol
Occasional Visitor

No, im having real trouble getting this configuration to work. I have this setup according to the manuals:

1 C3000.
2 3G SAS Blade Swithes in bay3 and 4.
1 MSA2324 with dual io.
2 GbE2c layer3 switches in bay1 and 2.
3 BL460 G6 with p700m with 256MB with vSphere4 booting from kingston 2GB SD-card. And no local disks.

I have this setup with 4 SAS-cables in recommended setup between io and MSA2324. I have setup Zoning/Vdisks/Volumes but i cant get the vSphere server to see the LUN:s. I dont know if im missing an important thing or if its broken. I have been banging my head on this one for over a week now.

If you find anything i would appreciate some pointers =)
Sysxp

>Mattias Holm
>No, im having real trouble getting this
>configuration to work. I have been banging
>my head on this one for over a week now.
>If you find anything i would appreciate
>some pointers =)

Did you find anything to make this work?
I was thinking of buying the exact same configuration for vSphere but now...

Just dont know what to do.
2000sa works fine, but new G2 line dont appear in vmware HCL for a very long period.
mathol
Occasional Visitor

Hello.

I got it to work just yesterday. What i did was to reinsert everything again AND swapped the 2 p700m├В┬┤s with new ones. And now i can access the MSA2324. It will take me some time before i can use it in real world scenario, but i can access it in vSphere and should be good to go.

It├В┬┤s not in VMwares HCL yet but it won├В┬┤t be long until it is, hp is still testing it. It├В┬┤s on the Spock, so HP have tested the combination.

Regards.
Rene Herwig

Thank you for your Replies!

we just purchased the MSA2324sa + 2 x HP DL380G6 Server and everything seems to run fine.
We use the ESX 4.0 Server installed on two internal hard drives in the DL380 Servers and after installation the VMware Server was seeing the created LUNs without any Problems...

Now i will test the system a while befor we deploy it for real use...

I think the system will be on the HCL soon!
As Mattias sayed, on the HP Spock Website they have tested the MSA2324sa + MSA2312sa with ESX 4 ...

Regards
mathol
Occasional Visitor

No problem. As i mentioned we are using 3 HP BL460G6 with Raidcard p700m and no internal disks. We opted to install the HP VMware ESXi4 on a 2GB Kingston SD-card. Are running just fine so far. Dont know about the stability with SD-cards in the long haul though. But its such a fast thing to install an ESXi4, and the important data resides on the MSA2324 so i dont worry about that.