108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Storageworks 4100 SAN Problem

SOLVED
Go to solution
Mark Scaife

Storageworks 4100 SAN Problem

Hi there,

I'm at a site that has a 4100, the problem is we want to add a disk to the array, but when I install the array utility it does not find the box? We don't know the IP address it was originally configured with as it was setup by an external contractor ages ago. Why is it not being auto-detected? I was wondering if the software we are using is "too new" maybe?

Anyway, I tried to find the IP address using an IP tool to find it's name, but nothing came up. Is there a default or back door so to speak? I notice there is a ethernet and serial port on the back of the SAN switch, maybe I could use a x-over cable and trya packet sniffer to see what it's IP is?

Any help? Going to run out of space soon, so any help would be appreciated.
12 REPLIES 12
krusty
Honored Contributor
Solution

Mike,

You can use a x-over cable, assuming the IP is default. The default IP is 10.77.77.77. Otherwise, you will need to use the serial port to configure the box. (Setup = 9600, 8 data, 1 stop, no parity, no flow). The command to configure the LAN "ipaddrset", and follow the prompts. To view what it is set to, use "ipaddrshow".

HTH,

Curt
"In Vino Veritas"
Mark Scaife

Ok I tried the x-over solution, still no luck.

I need to get hold of a usb to serial cable first before I try the other. So I just use hyper terminal and it will auto login to the SAN? Does it have a std username and password?

Many Thanks
krusty
Honored Contributor

I've never heard of a USB to serial cable, but I assume you have. I just use the supplied DB-9 to DB-9 cable that comes with the switch. It's probably in the box it came in hiding in the back of the room ;). Once you have connectivity, hit return and the switch will prompt you for the user name and password. Brocade defaults are "admin" and "password". If the contractor changed the password you can get it back, but it involves contacting Brocade and taking the switch offline. Hope this isn't the case.

Good Luck,

Curt
"In Vino Veritas"
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

> I've never heard of a USB to serial cable,

It's one of the greatest inventions next to sliced bread ;-)

I have one because my current notebook has no serial port. Within Windows it just appears as a 'COM' port - I can even change bit rates.
Mark Scaife

Ok, still no joy.

I put a sniffer on the switch and it cmes back with one address, the 10.77.77.77 one. So at least I know that now :-) Tried absolutly everything to access the switch. Serial, x-over, ethernet, through LAN, using telnet, terminal services, HP software etc....

Still can't get on. I was wondering if it's a crossed serial cable you need to get on? As in the manual they go on about two different types of cable, a black and a grey one?

Anyway, I'm running out of space fast, so if you have any more idea's I would appreciate them.

Also I was wondering, there are 6 netware boxes attached to the SAN, is there anyway I can expand the array from those? Using CPQONLIN or something?

Heres the sniffer report anyway if that helps:

ETBIOS discovery ...
-------> (sent 50 bytes)
01 F8 00 10 00 01 00 00 00 00 00 00 20 43 4B 41 ............ CKA
41 41 41 41 41 41 41 41 41 41 41 41 41 41 41 41 AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
41 41 41 41 41 41 41 41 41 41 41 41 41 00 00 21 AAAAAAAAAAAAA..!
00 01 ..
Done sending, waiting for responses ...
SNMP discovery ...
Community string : public
ICMP sweep ... (PING!)
Ready
1 Computer(s) found.

Resolving 10.77.77.77...

UDP scanning thread started ...
TCP scanning started ...
1 open port(s).
Gathering banners ...
21 - FTP
Anonymous logins accepted ?
-------> (sent 16 bytes)
55 53 45 52 20 61 6E 6F 6E 79 6D 6F 75 73 0D 0A USER anonymous..
No

UDP scanning thread stopped.

Alerts probing ..
Checking FTP Alerts ...
Checking DNS Alerts ...
Checking Mail Alerts ...
Checking Service Alerts ...
Checking RPC Alerts ...
Checking Miscellaneous ...
Checking Information ...

Scan completed in 1 minutes, 32 seconds.
Ready
krusty
Honored Contributor

Hi Marc,

Well it sounds like you've tried about everything. The switch is at default, so I don't know why you can't connect to it. When you used the x-over cable, did you change the IP on the host you were trying to connect with? I usually use my laptop, set the IP on my laptop to 10.77.77.78, and I've never had a problem. If you are trying to connect using your default IP, you may have some network routing issues. Try direct connect if you haven't yet.

If that doesn't work - you'll need a serial cable - any standard serial cable will work. Otherwise, you're going to have to call in a SAN guy, I guess...

Good Luck,

Curt
"In Vino Veritas"
meloni
Honored Contributor

remember to disable your proxy in Internet explorer, and eventualy disable your firewall.
try with a ping first

marino
---------------X-------------------X--------------------X----------------X--------------
If everything is under control, you are going too slow (Mario Andretti)
Mark Scaife

Ok, I'm giving up on the RS232/RJ45 ports on the switch. I've had another idea, can you tell me if this will work?

Down all the NetWare servers (five of them) reboot the SAN, bring one server back up with the Compaq Smart Start CD in. Using the servers fibre connection I should be able to get to the SAN's arrays? Then this way I can add the new disk to the array and then bring the servers back up with the added disk in?

I've got a hunch that it was setup this way in the first place.

Will this work?
krusty
Honored Contributor

Hi Mark,

Sorry you can't get into the switch, but it's hard to guess how the host will react to adding the disk to it if we don't know the switch configuration.

In your original post, you state "we want to add a disk to the array, but when I install the array utility it does not find the box?" I'm not quite sure I'm interpreting what you are saying correctly.

1) What array are you using?

2) What "utility" are you using on the host?

3) Does the host already have LUNs from this array on it? Or is this a new host to the SAN / array?

4) If this is a new host on the SAN, and there aren't LUNs on it already, there is a good chance you will never see LUNs from any array on it unless you change the zoning on the switch (assuming there is zoning on the switch).

You may want to engage someone from HP (or your reseller) to help you through this and help in setting it up. (Yes I am HP employee). They may be able to show you some basics on SAN switches to bring you up to speed so you won't have to spend to much time on this next time.

Sincerely,

Curt
"In Vino Veritas"