4694 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Switch Redundancy Not working

HDZ
Occasional Contributor

Switch Redundancy Not working

Hi All,

Sorry if this is a stupid question I've not dealt with HP SAN Kit in a while. I am having trouble with the redundancy in my SAN setup.

I have an MSA2000 with dual controllers. This is connected to two HP 8/20 FC Switches. This is connected in the usual redundant manner.

Controller 1 Port 1 connected to Switch 1.
Controller 2 Port 1 connected to Switch 1.
Controller 1 Port 2 connected to Switch 2.
Controller 2 Port 2 connected to Switch 2.

I then have a Windows 2003 server with two HBA's connected as follows.

HBA1 connected to Switch 1.
HBA2 connected to Switch 2.

I have created a vDisk and explicity mapped the LUN to the Windows 2003 server using all four controller ports. When I look in disk manager it shows 4 disks. It looks like it is showing each connection on the controller as a disk rather than a single disk and when I disconnect one of the HBA's on the server it looses two disk connections.

I was expecting the disk to appear as a single disk and full redundnancy provided no matter what might fail.

What am I doing wrong here? is there a document which discusses configuring your environment for full redundnacy?

Thanks
3 REPLIES 3
P.Prokopets
Advisor

You should install MPIO DSM for Windows. After this you will see only one disk.
HDZ
Occasional Contributor

Excellent that worked. Thanks
Johnny von Heimerall
Frequent Advisor

Hi there,

Besides MPIO, -for full redundancy you need to change cabling to as follows

Controller 1 Port 1 connected to Switch 1.
Controller 2 Port 2 connected to Switch 1.
Controller 1 Port 2 connected to Switch 2.
Controller 2 Port 1 connected to Switch 2.

After this, at a convenient time, try to shut down each of the controllers at a time via SMU to verify that the controller failover works.
Also try to pull 1(! only single point of failure !) FC cable at a time to verify cabling and switch redundancy.