4602 Online
108723 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: There is a problem with a FRU - MSA2324i

Jins1211

There is a problem with a FRU - MSA2324i

Hey guys,

One of the disks is amber and I saw this error on on one of the vdisks

There is a problem with a FRU. (FRU type: disk, enclosure: 1, device ID: 5, vendor: HP , product ID: DG0300FAMWN , SN: 3SEXXFE200009013YXXX, version: HPDC, related event serial number: A22614, related event code: 55).

Can I just replace the hard drive with a new one? and will it will rebuild?

I'm very new to the company and I'm still trying to understand the way things are set up here.

4 REPLIES 4
HPSDMike
HPE Pro

Well, it is likely that this disk has failed but can't tell for sure. If the array is still functional, with the disk down, then you could likely pull it and replace it. Whether it will rebuild depends on whether a spare has already taken over for this vdisk. If one has, then this disk will likely just be available but unassigned. In that case, it might be worth while to mark it as a spare so it can function for a future failure. As always, if you have support on the array, log a support case and have support walk you through the whole event. You'd need to do that anyway if you were getting a replacement drive under support. Assuming you don't have support then you'll need to source your own replacement drive and kind of wing it. 

So that we have more information, please consider using putty to CLI into the array. Then, paste the outputs of the following commands:

1. show disks
  2. show vdisks
  3. show spares

Thanks

I work for HPE. The comments in this post are my own and do not represent an official reply from the company. No warranty or guarantees of any kind are expressed in my reply.

Accept or Kudo

CBW2
Occasional Visitor

Can a bad drive (from this same error) be swapped out during a VDISK expansion job?

As per the information that you have provided it looks like one of the drive failed but I wouldn't suggest to just replace it with new drive rather you need to involve HPE support to check logs to figure out if any other drive part of same vdisk having issue or not otherwise your data is at risk.

You can check vdisk status from SMU or from CLI. Vdisk shouldn't be in OFFLINE or QTOF state. If vdisk shows any of these state then immediately log case with HPE support.

As you are asking if you can replace the failed drive and will that start rebuild or not -> this indicates that there was not spare drive configured and that's why rebuild not started automatically.

There are three types of spare you can configure-> Dedicated, Global and Dynamic

If you have Dynamic spare setting configured then the moment you replace the failed drive with new drive rebuild will start automatically as for Dynamic spare it requires drives in AVAIL state. For other two types of spares you need to configure it manually for that drive.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Subhajit

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!

***********************************************************************************

I work for HPE
Accept or Kudo

@CBW2

No you shouldn't replace any drive when vdisk expansion going on because until vdisk expansion process gets complete vdisk reconstruction or rebuilt will not start.

Moreover consider taking data backup as I don't know which RAID level your vdisk is and if another drive fail then that can cause complete down situation and which in turn can lead to data loss because during vdisk expansion you can't do anything and only option possible is to delete the vdisk.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Subhajit

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!

***********************************************************************************

I work for HPE
Accept or Kudo