cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Two FC2142SR Adapters. Need advise on redundancy

Douglas Dorbuck
Occasional Contributor

Two FC2142SR Adapters. Need advise on redundancy

Hello. We have two HP FC2142SR adapters in a windows 2003 server. I need some advise on the best way to verify that redundance is enabled on the windows side for the adapters. The host side was setup by a seperate department but lets assume everything is in place to allow redundancy. As is stands now the HBAnywhere tool shows two seperate adapters with identical luns. How do I verify or setup the adapters to support redundancy? On a seperate note windows disk management shows one of the adapters 2 luns as unknown, do I need to mask the luns for the 2nd adapter from the os?

Thanks for any info.
3 REPLIES 3
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Re: Two FC2142SR Adapters. Need advise on redundancy

What storage array is this server connected to? A plain Windows 2003 system does not understand redundant paths and will show each path as a disk, so you must install the correct 'multipath filter'.

I'm using a generic term, because a real product name depends on the Fibre Channel array (MSA?, EVA?, ??) and the firmware running in the array controllers.
Douglas Dorbuck
Occasional Contributor

Hello. The SAN system the two FC2142SR are connected to is a IBM FastTEXP 700 Fibre SAN System. I see HP sells a product called HP StorageWorks Secure Path for Windows Software. This I assume is HP multipath filter specific app?

Thank you.
Highlighted
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Right, those filters are proprietary solutions - even the Device Specific Modules (DSMs) for Microsoft's MPIO framework. You do need an IBM-specific solution.