108723 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Two more questions about snapshot/cloning

SOLVED
Go to solution
Rob_69_1
Frequent Advisor

Two more questions about snapshot/cloning

Hi, I'd like to understand a bit more about snapshot/cloning licenses.

1)Regarding snapshots, the licenses should come in 8, 64 and 255 RETAINED snapshots, so it should be possible to have up to 255 "saved" images stored on the disks at the same time. Is it correct?

2)Regarding Volume Copy license, it states that it's a "1 disk array" license. What does this mean? That I can perform as many copies of volumes as I need? What if I have more "drive enclosures" attached to the primary "controller enclosure"? is it still A SINGLE ARRAY? Definitely confusing.

3) Let's suppose I have a physical volume copy somewhere on the array. Can I migrate/copy it on another network disk/tape, for disaster recovery?

Thank you very much...
2 REPLIES 2
Patrick Terlisten
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Two more questions about snapshot/cloning

Hello Rob,

1) You can create only the number of snapshots that you have licensed. If you have a 8 snapshot licesen, you can create up to 8 snaps.

2) One array are one or two controllers with attached enclosures. There is no licensing per individual clone.

3) You can present a clone to a host and take an image of it, for example with Acronis TrueImage, Symantec Ghost or Clonezilla. Or you can backup the data with Data Protector or another backup software. There is no possibility to do this work from the SMU of the MSA.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,
Patrick
Best regards,
Patrick
Rob_69_1
Frequent Advisor

Re: Two more questions about snapshot/cloning

Thanks Patrick. This cleared all the doubts I had, now I can start to make a real plan for my backup strategy...