8689 Online
108805 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Unit Not ready in MSL6000 Library

P.Prakash_1
Valued Contributor

Unit Not ready in MSL6000 Library

Hi

I am facing a problem with one of the MSL 6000 Libraries. Whenever I run a Device scan/ backup using this library from Windows 2000 Servers. I am getting the error as "Unit Not Ready" and fails.

When I scanned using uma from these servers. All the slots and Drives are reported Empty. Though they have tapes loaded in it.

The same library is working fine from HPUX server, which is the device server.

Can anybody help me out in this.

Thanks

Prakash
4 REPLIES 4
meloni
Honored Contributor

Re: Unit Not ready in MSL6000 Library

I suppose you r library is on a SaN environment, and in this case, you must be sure that all the Windows server that can see the library (also depending of the zoning) have the Removable Storage Manager desable, or it will interfere with the library
---------------X-------------------X--------------------X----------------X--------------
If everything is under control, you are going too slow (Mario Andretti)
P.Prakash_1
Valued Contributor

Hi

You are right. Its on SAN Environment only. I could see the library and controller in the Device manager and I have disabled these things. I hope thats the way.

There are two libraries in the same zone and I am able to use the other library.

Thanks

Prakash
meloni
Honored Contributor

A library in san is seen by multiple servers, and if it is presented to more than one server, the software should take care who have to manage it.
If you have a HPUX server that is managin the library, you cannot try to use it from another server, because the first one will take ownership of the unit and put it in a reserve mode.
If you plan to use your W2K server for backup, you sould present the library only to it.
In another way, you can use tapes from several servers if all have a unique Backup software, like Dataprotector in the main server and agents on the other servers, so just one have a database of the data and action to be performed, and it can decide who can use the tape at that time
---------------X-------------------X--------------------X----------------X--------------
If everything is under control, you are going too slow (Mario Andretti)
P.Prakash_1
Valued Contributor

The problem got solved. It was a SAN Zoneing issues. Our SAN Team has rectified. Now I am able to use both the libraries.

We are using DataProtector Only

Thanks for your valuable inputs

Rgds

Prakash