MSA Storage
1753876 Members
7422 Online
108809 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: VCS 3.010 to 3.028 Upgrade

Budster

VCS 3.010 to 3.028 Upgrade

Christmas weekend we will be attempting to upgrade the VCS code on our EVA5000 from version 3.010 to 3.028. We have about 28TB of storage on this EVA. We understand that the upgrade from 3.010 is going to involve a scan that could take many hours. Does anyone out there have any experience with how long this scan is going to take? I'm hoping I don't have to sit at work throughout the Christmas weekend waiting for it to finish.
4 REPLIES 4
Johan Holmstrom
Advisor

This is the MDU scan that you will need to run to check for orphan Pseg's before doing the VCS upgrade. This is something that only HP personal should do. What I suggest is that you contact your local HP office and let them have the contoller log to see whether or not this scan is needed.
Budster

We have been working with our local HP engineers and they will be the ones onsite to do the upgrade. Unfortunately they haven't been able to help us in determining how much downtime will be required, so I am trying to find someone who has had real world experience and how long it took at their site.

Is not running the scan an option? If I send them the controller logs would they really be able to tell me whether it needs to be run or not?
Johan Holmstrom
Advisor

The time required will differ from site to site because of number of disks affected, weather or not it will actually find any orphan pesg's. If you send HP the controller log together with sanscan or scanmaster they will be able to see if a MDU scan is required.
Budster

Well, for anyone else who may be wondering, this is what we encountered:

On our EVA that has about 19TB of storage, it took 1h 50mins.
On our EVA that has about 25TB of storage, it took 2h 40mins. Pretty much what we calculated after we ran the first one.