MSA Storage
1751932 Members
4908 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Vdisk reconstruct failed. Command failed. (error code: 1). (vdisk: HyperV-Disk, SN: 00........)

Gibbo2018
Occasional Contributor

Vdisk reconstruct failed. Command failed. (error code: 1). (vdisk: HyperV-Disk, SN: 00........)

Hello Subhajit,

I have a MSA2324i storage with raid 6 using 16 disks (no-online spare). Two disks failed and upon replacing them (dedicated spares), a reconstruction process was initaited and completed. However, it failed. The health status of the systems, emclosure and all disks is fine. The error meesage shows as follows:

EVENT: Vdisk reconstruct failed. Command failed. (error code: 1). (vdisk: HyperV-Disk, SN: 00...........................................................) EVENT ID:#A6132 EVENT CODE:18 EVENT SEVERITY:Warning EVENT TIME:2018-10-17 02:28:24

System Name: Uninitialized

Name System Location: Uninitialized Location

System Contact: Uninitialized Contact IP Address: 1xx.xx.x.xxx.xxx

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Vdisk reconstruct failed. Command failed. (error code: 1). (vdisk: HyperV-Disk, SN: 00........)

It looks to me there could be other drives having issue as well which was not allowing to complete the vdisk reconstruction. RAID6 means it can sustain upto 2 drive failure but this doesn't mean vdisk reconstruction will get completed if any other drive in the same vdisk having hardware errors.

If you share me the log in private message (don't share it in public) I can check it and let you know in detail.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Subhajit

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!

***********************************************************************************

I work for HPE
Accept or Kudo

Re: Vdisk reconstruct failed. Command failed. (error code: 1). (vdisk: HyperV-Disk, SN: 00........)

Hello Gibbo2018,

I got the logs and analyzed the same as well.

Problem exists in drive at location 1.8. There are 90 medium error exist which is very high number and this drive will never allow vdisk reconstruction to gets completed. In order to reconstruct vdisk data all 14 drives need to be read properly by Controller then only able to reconstruct data inside 1.3 and 1.15 which are new drives and used as spare. Unfortunately other 13 drives looks fine but due to problem with 1.8 vdisk reconstruction not possible. You are lucky that still you are able to access data. Take Immediate data backup because 1.8 may fail anytime soon and that situation this vdisk can't be in recoverable situation because RAID6 can't survive with 3 drive missing.

Action Plan

1> Take immediate data backup

2> Delete vdisk named HyperV-Disk and volumes

3> Replace drive at location 1.8

4> Recreate vdisk named HyperV-Disk and respective volumes

5> Restore data from backup

6> Please closely monitor other vdisk as well because there are drive error seen at location 1.18, 1.20 and 1.23

As discussed over private chat this is accepted solution so kindly mark this forum as closed so that others can get the update as well.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Subhajit

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!

***********************************************************************************

I work for HPE
Accept or Kudo