3704 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Very slow write speed on MSA20

BOYAN BIANDOV
Regular Advisor

Hi Marco,

Would you share the details on how you "Using ACU CLI I enabled the write cache on the MSA20"?

I even downloaded the latest version of the ACU CLI but I can't see how to specify that a command would be executved at the MSA controller rather than the physically connected controller inside the sererv?

All I see are commands that execute locally; not on the MSA controller?

Thanks

~B

ryanwilliams
Occasional Collector

Example of modifying a setting on an MSA20

=> ctrl all show

MSA20 in E057MLJ18V (sn: PAAACADMQUUNBP, csn: E057MLJ18V )
Smart Array 6400 in Slot 0 (Embedded) (sn: P57820GDAQ2IYE)
Smart Array P400 in Slot 1 (sn: P61620E9SV46J1)

=> ctrl sn=PAAACADMQUUNBP modify dwc=enable forced

Marco DV
Advisor

Hi all,

sorry for the delay but I hoped to collect more information before replying.

Unfortunately I couldn't. I rarely go to the place where the MSA20 I manage is, and even harder is the possibility to find some spare time there to repeat tests and collect info.

Thank you ryanwilliams for answering about ACU CLI usage.

Indeed, Boyan, you can define a "target" for each command, by using some identification data related to the controller you want to configure. And you can query all controllers to find out how to identify them.

I cannot remember how I did it specifically, but I think I just followed the instructions found in the document called "Configuring Arrays on HP Smart Array Controllers Reference Guide" (google for "c00729544.pdf").

Ryan, as far as I recall I never solved the slow write problem on the first logical drive, and just lived with it. The situation is better than it was initially, anyway, so users can now bear with it. The array and the drives are getting old, and the boss is also evaluating replacing it to get more capacity and performance.

Sorry I can't help.

BOYAN BIANDOV
Regular Advisor

Thank you gentlemen,

I saw from the sample that Marco posted that you are using P600: I have a specific P600 issue. How do you force the controller to either reset the battery health status using the CLI

Or alternatively how do you force P600 to:

(a) recondition the batteries

(b) reset status and do a true electrical detection to either initiate charging or perform full charge test on the batteries

(c) is there a mechanical switch to signal that one has replaced the batteries hence the "battery failed" error is fake and should be reset in order for the true status of the new batteries to be reported?

Thank you

BOYAN BIANDOV
Regular Advisor

CLEAR CONTROLLER CONFIGURATION did the trick. Of course I made sure the SAS cable is unplugged because otherwise it would have whipped out the logical drive. Then the controller finally "saw" the newly replaced batteries and all is well. What a terrible design??
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Older firmware version had battery related issues solved in newer versions. What firmware do you run?

Latest I found is 2.04A

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=329290&prodSeriesId=466290&swItem=MTX-f931052606cc48dc98ae37b075&prodNameId=466291&swEnvOID=54&swLang=8&taskId=135&mode=5

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
BOYAN BIANDOV
Regular Advisor

My P600 is running 2.04 so that's the latest it appears; yet the battery issue was present up until I did the clear configuration. Then after reboot no more error. Terrible lack of exposing the internal arhitecture to CLI.

Long story short it is working now but far from the elegant expecations once common for Compaq Servers...