New Discussion

Re: Warranty requirement and lookup for MSA1040 enclosure ID: 2 via SSH

SOLVED
Go to solution
Verwey
Occasional Collector

Warranty requirement and lookup for MSA1040 enclosure ID: 2 via SSH

Hi, 

I would greatly appreciate any assistance on this. 

We have a MSA1040 head unit covered by HPE warranty. We also have an enclosure attached to the MSA1040 SAN. I presume the enclosure would require its own warranty- can anyone confirm please? 

And if the enclosure requires its own warranty, how do I go about remotely obtaining the enclosure serial to do a warranty lookup on HPE's warranty lookup page (Check your warranty status - HPE Support Center)? 

I have run the following command via SSH on my MSA1040 head unit which provides the serial# for my MSA1040 controller chassis, but does not give me the correct serial# for my enclosure (which I presume would be denoted by "Enclosure ID: 2" and "Chassis_Midplane"): 

show frus

I get the following information for encosure ID: 2, but the serial is 4 characters longher than the serials I normally use to successfully do warranty lookups. I have also attempted to do a warranty lookup using the serial obtained for Enclosure ID: 2. Aforementioned warranty check returns no results. 

PS. Below serials have been masked for security reasons. 

FRU
---
Name: CHASSIS_MIDPLANE
Description: HP D2700 Midplane
Part Number: 519321-001

Serial Number: XXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Revision: D0
Dash Level:
FRU Shortname: Midplane
Manufacturing Date: N/A
Manufacturing Location:
Manufacturing Vendor ID:
FRU Location: MID-PLANE SLOT

Configuration SN: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
FRU Status: OK
Enclosure ID: 2

3 REPLIES 3
ArunKKR
HPE Pro
Solution

Hi,

The warranty of controller enclosure and attached disk enclosure are separate.

The chassis midplane serial number
(in this case enclosure 2) would usually be the serial number of the disk enclosure.

However, in most of the cases D2700 serial number does not get captured in logs and we would  need to check the physical enclosure for the HPE serial number sticker.

While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company

Accept or Kudo

Verwey
Occasional Collector

Hi ArunKKR, 

Thanks for responding. 

We ended up physically collecting the serial. 

Just for the sake of others looking to remotely obtain the serial for D2700 enclosure attached to MSA1040 storage, I also retrieve the store.zip logs and was not able to obtain the D2700 enclosure serial number in there either (perhaps I overlooked said serial). 

ArunKKR
HPE Pro

HI Verwey,

Thank you for the update.

While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company

Accept or Kudo