Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's the console type of SAN Switch 4/8

Highlighted
Tom Qin
Occasional Visitor

What's the console type of SAN Switch 4/8

I have called HP support twice, but they could not give me an answer. They provide me two different answer, and each of them can not use.
Anybody could tell me the correct the console cable type? Thanks.
3 REPLIES 3
James Muell
Valued Contributor

Re: What's the console type of SAN Switch 4/8

Its a serial cable that usually comes with the switches. I don't offhand know the pinout arrangement. Is your switch an actively supporting hosts? Sometimes its easiest to reboot the switch with the serial cable connected to a laptop running Putty or HyperTerminal using 19200, None,8,1 w/no flow control.
Tom Qin
Occasional Visitor

i can not find the cable coming with the sanswitch, i can just connect the sanswitch using another cable, but nothing show in the terminal.

i have checked installation guide, it said' the serial port can connect to a workstation to configure the switch IP address without connecting to the fabric. The serial port's parameters are fixed at 9600 baud, 8 data bits, and no parity, with flow control set to none. the port requires a straight serial cable with a female 9-pin subminiature-D connector. Only pins 2,3, and 5 are supported.'

i'm not very sure what it means. seems the cable is very special........if anyone could provide the detail type of the cable or send me a photo of the cable? thanks.
James Muell
Valued Contributor

What nearly always works for us is to connect a laptop direct with the serial cable and open a HyperTerminal session using the settings you know. And then power cycle the switch.
If this doesn't work you need to get a serial cable from HP.
I will go to my lab and review the cables i use and get back to you.