MSA Storage
1753424 Members
4795 Online
108793 Solutions
New Discussion

Where can I find the part number for MSA 1050 drive sleds/trays/carrier converter/caddies?

SOLVED
Go to solution
boe
Occasional Advisor

Where can I find the part number for MSA 1050 drive sleds/trays/carrier converter/caddies?

Hello,

I looked through the documentation from top to bottom and couldn't find the part number for the sleds / drive bay trays / drive caddy / carrier converter - just units with the drives already in them.

I have a MSA 1050 with 2.5" bays.

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3
boe
Occasional Advisor

Re: Where can I find the part number for MSA 1050 drive sleds/trays/carrier converter/caddies?

I contacted HPE directly - they said for that information I'd have to contact a HPE partner!   HP doesn't even know its own part numbers?   So I contacted two partners and neither knew what the part number was!

I can't believe it is this hard to find a part number for the MSA 1050 or perhaps my client is the first sucker to actually buy HPE .   I would NEVER EVER EVER EVER buy HPE again after this experience - part isn't in their manua, part isn't available from HPE and their partners can't get it either.   

I knew HP was a challenge to work with a decade ago (the last time I had a client with HP servers) and I see they've gotten even more difficult to work with over time.   

Shawn_K
HPE Pro
Solution

Re: Where can I find the part number for MSA 1050 drive sleds/trays/carrier converter/caddies?

Hello Boe,

The MSA arrays qualify and support hard drive models that are desgined for use by an MSA array. HPE continously monitors the drives qualified for the MSA and provides support and firmware updates as needed or required. 

All of the HPE MSA qualified drives are sold with drive carriers. There are no MSA supported drives that are sold without carriers. Due to the drives already having carriers there is no PN for a carrier as there is no need.

Additionally, using a drive that is not qualified by HPE for use by an MSA array can lead to unexpected results, which may include data loss or performance degredation. 

Cheers,
Shawn

I work for Hewlett Packard Enterprise. The comments in this post are my own and do not represent an official reply from HPE. No warranty or guarantees of any kind are expressed in my reply.

I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo

boe
Occasional Advisor

Thanks so much for a very detailed answer!  I appreciate it!

I called HP back again before I saw your answer - they said I should call a tech number and I repeated it back to them slowly.   They said that was the number they had on file.  I called and it was a dead phone number.

I'll still strongly suggest my client just buy Dell in the future thanks to this loverly experience with HP after so long I'm glad I didn't miss anything.