1753797 Members
7072 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Win 2k w/QL23XX, access to SAN disk results in blue screen

ckirt
Occasional Advisor

Win 2k w/QL23XX, access to SAN disk results in blue screen

I am trying to connect my Win 2k / SQL database to our HP MSA1000 SAN. Our server is a HP DL380 G4, with a HP FCA2214 HBA which I believe is a QL 23XX HBA.

I installed the HBA and loaded the drivers from the MSA install disk into the server. The Windows device manager seeтАЩs the HBA and the event log is not indicating any problems.

The problem started when I tried to access the disk allocated on the SAN. Windows would see the drive, but when I go to format the drive using disk manager I immediately get a тАЬSystem Halted, Contact Hardware VendorтАЭ blue screen. I have a feeling that this is a driver issue, but would like see what people with a little more experience think before I go screwing with our production SQL box.

Any thoughts on my problem would be appreciated,

-Casey
5 REPLIES 5
James Muell
Valued Contributor

This is Windows 2003 sp1? Have you captured the information from the BSD?
Have you used SSP to present the disk to the host?
Try going back one driver revision. You can check the MSA1000 compatability matrix on the hp site for driver and firmware versions.
Are you using dual HBAs and multipathing? Is failover enabled.
I don't like the qlogic cards with windows and use the Emulex cards instead.
ckirt
Occasional Advisor

Thank you for your response. I am running Windows 2000, SSP is correct and I can see the disk I just cannot format it. Once I fire off the format command, bingo blue screen. We are running with a single HBA connected to a 8/2 switch in the MSA1000.

Do you have experiance with Windows 2000 and Emulex? If so which Emulex cards have worked for you in the past?

Thanks again,

-Casey
James Muell
Valued Contributor

OK, so then can I assume you are only using 1 switch? If not, it could be that you are connected to the other, or passive switch and that the host doesn't actually have a connection to the active controller in order for you to perform the create array etc.
We have used the FCA2101, and the newer 2143.
I can't remember, have you check the MSA compatabilty list to see that you are running the approved driver and firmware on the QLogic cards?

ckirt
Occasional Advisor

I did like you said and went back a driver version, and while I was at it I replaced the HBA with another FC2214 that we had as a spare and it worked. I can now access the disk on the san that I assigned using SSP. So now I am assuming that the HBA is bad. Thanks for working with me on this.
James Muell
Valued Contributor

Great. The MSA1000 has its quirks to configure but once done they run and we use alot of them.