108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Zone Creation Sanity Check

SOLVED
Go to solution
Frank810
Occasional Advisor

Zone Creation Sanity Check

I need to get zones implemented and believe I finally understand everything that needs to be done. I'd like to be sure I'm right before moving ahead.

Our environment is comprised of two Storageworks 4/8 SAN switches, an HSV300/EVA4400 with redundant FC modules, and five servers.

As I understand it, on each switch I should create an alias for each of the five servers based on the WWN (or more specifically, the WWPN). Aliases should also be created for each of the two HSV300 connections.

Once the aliases are created I need to create a zone for each server. Each zone will have 3 members - the two HSV300 port aliases and a server alias.

Assuming I have it right, there's one more piece I need to clear up. There are currently mis-configured zones in place from a prior visit by a support rep. Would I be better off to create a new Zone Config with my work, Enable it and reboot the switches or just update the existing Zone Config and remove the mess after a reboot?
3 REPLIES 3
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

It is normally not necessary to reboot an FC switch after a simple thing like a zoning change - sounds like you are using Brocade-based switches, so it is a simple
> cfgEnable "configname"

For the EVA-x400 series it is necessary to implement "single-initiator/single-target zones". That means: create separate zones for the adapter and each EVA host port.
Frank810
Occasional Advisor

Thank you for the quick reply.

Yes, the switches are Brocade-based.

To be clear, each zone would then have just two members and each server would be a member of two zones; e.g Zone1's members would be ServerA & EVA_Mod1_Port1 and Zone2's members would be ServerA & EVA_Mod2_Port1. Correct?
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor
Solution

If "Mod1/2" means the EVA's controller modules, correct.