1748335 Members
3631 Online
108762 Solutions
New Discussion

balance disk group

shang1983
Advisor

balance disk group

I have a MSA 2052 with 9 SSD disks currently configured as 4 disk in Disk Pool A as diskgroupA and another 4 disk in DIsk pool B as diskgroupB. 1 SSD as hot spare. 

My company just bought additional 10 SSD drives . How can I configure to make it a balanced diskgroup in the disk pool?

Can changed the set size without affecting the data in side the current volume? 

2 REPLIES 2
Shawn_K
HPE Pro

Re: balance disk group

Hello,

Ideally you will want to balance the new SSDs so they are equally distributed to the two Pools. However, without knowing your current space/size of the exisiting disk-groups it is hard to make a good recommendation.

One way to go would be to add two 5 drive disk-groups with one disk-group to Pool A and one to Pool B. You could then expand the volume size by adding the new disk-groups to the existing volume.

A second way to go would be to add the new drives to the exisiting disk-group.

One other thought would be to add a few of the new SSDs as a performance tier. You will need a license if you choose this option. Howevre, carefully consider your usage and needs before you try this method.

Cheers,
Shawn

I work for Hewlett Packard Enterprise. The comments in this post are my own and do not represent an official reply from HPE. No warranty or guarantees of any kind are expressed in my reply.

I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo

shang1983
Advisor

Re: balance disk group

All the current SSD are same capacity 800GB. Both diskgroup configured as raid5. I attached the diagram for better understanding.