can't remove disk group on msa 2050

I have a msa 2050,

it's a demo machine,

when it return from customer to me,

I found there are 3 disk group in the system ,

and there are no any Pool in system

When I want to delete any one of the disk groups,

the MSA System show me

Error: The requested operation cannot be completed because the target disk group
is an internal component. (00c0ff506372000016dff95d00000000) - Disk group dgA01
was not dequarantined.

When I try to use dequarantined command to dequarantined,but system tell me the operation fail,

Anybody have ever meet this error and fix ?

Please tell me how to fix it!

Thanks very much!

40 REPLIES 40
Chang Che-Lun
Advisor

Re: can't remove disk group on msa 2050

# show disk-groups
Name   Size   Free Pool Tier % of Pool  Own RAID   Disks Status Current Job  Job%      Sec Fmt   Health     Reason
  Action
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
dgA01  23.9TB 0B        N/A  100        A   RAID5  7     QTOF                          512e      Fault      The disk group is quarantined.
  - Look for events in the event log related to quarantine (172, 485, or 590) and follow the recommended actions for those events.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Success: Command completed successfully. (2020-07-22 08:11:28)
# show disks
Location   Serial Number         Vendor   Rev   Description Usage         Jobs  Speed (kr/min)  Size     Sec Fmt    Disk Group Pool Tier    Health
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1.11       ZC1BTDN30000C0024WVM  SEAGATE  E002  SAS MDL     VIRTUAL POOL  7                     4000.7GB 512e       dgA01           Archive OK
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Info:  * Rates may vary. This is normal behavior. (2020-07-22 08:17:22)
Success: Command completed successfully. (2020-07-22 08:17:22)
# dequarantine disk-group 00c0ff50632e00008a65fa5d00000000
Removing this disk group from quarantine will take the disk group offline and could result in irreversible data loss.
Do you want to continue? (y/n) y
Error: The requested operation cannot be completed because the target disk group is an internal component. - Disk group dgA01 was not dequarantined. (00c0ff5063
2e00008a65fa5d00000000)
Error: The requested operation cannot be completed because the target disk group is an internal component. (00c0ff50632e00008a65fa5d00000000) - Disk group dgA01
 was not dequarantined. (2020-07-22 08:14:44)
# trust enable
Success: Command completed successfully. - Trust is enabled. (2020-07-22 08:16:10)
# trust disk-group 00c0ff50632e00008a65fa5d00000000
Error: Command failed. (00c0ff50632e00008a65fa5d00000000) - Trust operation failed for this disk group. (2020-07-22 08:16:17)

@Chang Che-Lun 

Your situation is you have drive 1.11 where old disk group dgA01 information still available as part of drive metadata which is showing this disk-group information. So when you try to dequarantine the VDG then it's looking for other 6 drives because dgA01 created with 7 drives in RAID5. If drive 1.11 is in leftover state then we could have clear metadata and it will be easy. 

Next thing you can check "show pools". if it shows any pool then try to delete the Pool,

# delete pools A

That may remove associated VDG as well.

If it didn't help then next thing you can replace drive 1.11 but you will not be able to use 1.11 anymore because that will always contain old VDG data.

We have special commands to fix this. Unfortunately the solution can't be shared in public forum. There are some special engineering level command need to run to delete this orphan Virtual disk group.

If you have valid support contract with HPE then log a call with HPE Support.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Subhajit

I am an HPE employee

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!

I work for HPE
Accept or Kudo
ashouri
Occasional Visitor

Egamarra

Hi SUBHAJIT 

Only for know.
In this case of Mr. Chang, if he opt to discard the data recovery would delete the pool directly?
My question is Can he delete the pool in this case?
Regards

@Egamarra 

I already suggested to try deleting the pool which in turn will delete associated VDG as well but I don't think Offline of QTOF VDG will allow to delete the pool. That's why special Engineering commands required.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Subhajit

I am an HPE employee

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!

I work for HPE
Accept or Kudo

For everyone's knowledge.
I posted on this blog the resolution of the problem, which HP itself sent me by email for execution and resolution.
The post was deleted by an admin, I think the intention here is to help.
It seems to me that HP has no interest in the forum's intention to share information.
Here's my response to the "admin" who deletes the post: - "I don't agree with your statement. And I don't agree with your sanction about the deletion of my topic. If this community exists, it's to help you. I ask that the post rollback be ugly. Every user knows that the impact on script execution can generate. We are here exchanging knowledge with adults and not with children."
Shameful your dictatorial action

RajuEgypt

HI anderson can you  message me the deleted post.

I have this error

The requested operation cannot be completed because the target disk group is an internal component

LG_Julius
Established Member

HI anderson can you message me the deleted post too.

I have same error and i lose hope of solving this problem. HELP PLEASE.

Error: The requested operation cannot be completed because the target disk group is an internal component. - Disk group dgB02 was not dequarantined. (dgB02)
Error: The requested operation cannot be completed because the target disk group is an internal component. (dgB02) - Disk group dgB02 was not dequarantined. (2021-07-09 12:54:42)

LG_Julius
Established Member

Big thanks to andersonvinicio!!!!!!!! His instructions were excellent and helped solve this problem.