MSA Storage
1752826 Members
4234 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: connecting SAN msa 1500 to Blade 460c

SAyotte

connecting SAN msa 1500 to Blade 460c

I bought a Blade server bl460c and I want to connect ot my MSA1500. I don't know why I don't see my blade server when I run the HP arry utility on another server already connected to the SAN. I'm not the person who connected the first server to the MSA1500 so I only want to know if it is possible to have a little cook book.

Thank you
6 REPLIES 6
SAyotte

Finally, I found this document that seems to explain my question.

Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Does the Blade enclosure have a SAN switch (or 2)?

Is the first server a bl460c?

If so, it might be the case that you need to preform some zoning changes on the SAN Switches.

It could also be that you need to install some drivers on the new server. What is the OS?

Any other info you can provide can help obtain a resolution.

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
SAyotte

Now I have an HP fibre channel connected to my MSA1500 SAN with 3 servers connected to it.

I want to connect to this SAN muy blade 460c that has a brocade fibre channel 4gb enclosure. My blade 460 see the SAN but don't see a disk to boot from.

The OS I want to install on the Blade is W2k3 but I want to boot from SAN.

When I run ACU connected to an admin station, I see the three first server fibre channel numbers but I don't see the new ONE. Hope it's understandable :) for other than me.
Andy Ivey
Advisor

Do you have a copy of the MSA1500 Support Software CD (ISO)? The current version is 7.6.7 and is available here: http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DriverDownload.jsp?taskID=135&pnameOID=415600&prodTypeId=12169&locale=en_US〈=English+%28US%29&prodSeriesId=415598
This CD has all the software you need. It will ensure you have the latest HBA drivers approved by HP. It also contains some software you will want to think about using at a later time such as MPIO and VDS. However, you should just focus on the basics for now.

I assume you have the blades connected to the fibre switch in the same fashion as the other server. If you do, but cannot see the new system, you need to check the switch itself. It is probably setup to only allow the current server access to the MSA. You should be able to easily find the manual for the switch. Connect to it (web interface or serial cable) and grant the new server access to the MSA. You should then be able to use ACU to manage connections.
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

It is likely that your SAN Switch(es) have some zoning configured on them. If so, you will need to add a new zone for the new server and add it to the zone configuration.

Are the other 3 servers blades? in the ame Blade Enclosure?

Can you access the san switch via telnet or web browser?

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
SAyotte

I finallay had to buy a fabric license key for my brocade switch. After that, i saw the servers correctly .

Thank you everybody.