1753283 Members
5617 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: disk invisible to GUI management and CLI of MSA2040

Mohammed993
Occasional Contributor

disk invisible to GUI management and CLI of MSA2040

hello to all members and good day to you !

13 new SFF 1.2 TB  10K disks have been installed in MSA 2040 , one linear disk group have been configured with raid 6 and two local spares before any data written to it (disk group) and after a short while, one drive   dissappeared from management interface slot 18   , tried "show disks detail" command with that drive not shown in the list , the phyisical disk leds are solid green and solid amber , which is not listed in troubleshooting guide, if the disk was degraded and faulty in a normal way, all would be good , but the costumer rightfully requested an explanation, as they fear that this would happen again during production (with short time between failures).

1- you have to read the above to understand the first question, are there any commands that may help with the disk dissappearing from management interface ,or is it just fried , explanation ?

2-are spares automatically enter the active data disks and rebuild or is it manually ? 

3-can I add new disks to existing disk groups in MSA ? like in this scenario a faulty disk got replaced by a configuered spare in the group and I want to configure a new disk to replace the spare

and thank you all for your time !

1 REPLY 1
Shawn_K
HPE Pro

Re: disk invisible to GUI management and CLI of MSA2040

Hello,

It sounds as if you have a customer requesting a techincal review and root cause for an issue. You should open a support case for that full log review since a forum is an open discussion and cannot possibly provide much techincal detail towards the issue you are describing.

To answer your questions:

1- you have to read the above to understand the first question, are there any commands that may help with the disk dissappearing from management interface ,or is it just fried , explanation ?

Answer: There is no command to keep a disk from disappearing from the GUI. Then again, without a log review there is no way to determine why the disk is no longer visible. Without a log review it is impossible to state the disk is "fried".

2-are spares automatically enter the active data disks and rebuild or is it manually ? 

Answer: This depends on how the array is configured. If you have dynamic spares enabled and an available disk of the correct size - then yes, a spare drive will be added to the degraded disk-group and rebuild will be automatic. Also - since this is an MSA2040 it will depend on whether you are using linear or virtual towards whether you can assign a dedicated spare.

3-can I add new disks to existing disk groups in MSA ? like in this scenario a faulty disk got replaced by a configuered spare in the group and I want to configure a new disk to replace the spare

Answer: yes, you can add a new disk to the MSA2040, assign it as a global spare and it will be added to the disk-group to rebuild. The new disk has to be the correct size and type in order to be rebuilt to.

It is unusual for a disk to just "disappear", especially if the disk is new. You should confirm that the disks are all supported for the MSA2040 and they are seated correctly. You can also test drive failures by removing a drive from one slot and moving it to another slot. If the drive has faulted it will not spin up in the new slot. However, if the drive does spin up you would need further troubleshooting to determine if the old drive slot has a bad connector or bent pin.

If you can't find the component that is causing the events to occur, gather a fresh set of store.logs, then please open a support case with HPE Support using the following web link, if the unit is under warranty: https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/home

If the unit is out of warranty, you can open a chat support case with HPE using the following web link to check for options: https://pg-receiver-pro.glb.itcs.hpe.com/WCLWeb/WCLEntry.aspx

Cheers,
Shawn

I work for Hewlett Packard Enterprise. The comments in this post are my own and do not represent an official reply from HPE. No warranty or guarantees of any kind are expressed in my reply.

I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo