6016 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

fabric os 3.1.0 v 6.2.1 on fc switch

Piotr_Salwerowicz
Occasional Advisor

fabric os 3.1.0 v 6.2.1 on fc switch

Hi

I have to migrate data from old HP EVA 5k to new HP HSV 300 . In old Eva i have fc switch with very old firmware: 3.1.0 in new i have firmware 6.2.1. I have doubts about some conflicts, errors etc when i connected together both san switches with very diffrent fabric version. It is safe ?

greetings
Bart
5 REPLIES 5
Piotr_Salwerowicz
Occasional Advisor

Re: fabric os 3.1.0 v 6.2.1 on fc switch

I'd like add:
old switch: 344181-B21 - HP StorageWorks SAN Switch 2/16 EL
new switch: HP StorageWorks 8/24 SAN Switch

:)
Malcolm Wade
Valued Contributor

The v6.2.1 release notes stipulate a minimum and recommended 2/16-EL firmware rev of v3.2.1c.

This will work with an EVA5k that I'm aware of if you can achieve the upgrade.

Ref: http://bizsupport1.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c01850395/c01850395.pdf

Will it work anyway? If you were running v3.2.x I'd say probably yes but it's unsupported. You'd be on your own with v3.1.0.

Regards,
Malcolm
James Muell
Valued Contributor

You should upgrd from 3.1.0 to 3.2.1c. Thats the last FABOS v for that type switch and it can't handle vers higher. You should then be able to ISL connect another, newer switch running ver 5xx or 6xx. I have that combo running in my lab.
Piotr_Salwerowicz
Occasional Advisor

But i have problem with upgrade fabric os from 3.1.0 to 3.2.0 because this is standalone switch with only one proccesor and when i make upgrade firmware, reboot will be necessary. Reboot is problematic for old oracle servers with one hba.. So i have to avoid upgrade firmware and restart switch..

thank You for clue
greetings
Bart
James Muell
Valued Contributor

Well! Then your in a pickle! You really need backup all your connected hosts and schedule down time to get your SAN updated. If the Ora instance is so important it should be running on redundant fabrics anyway.

you have few options as i see it. but good luck.