6275 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: hp EVA data transfer

yassir2
Advisor

hp EVA data transfer

dears,

RHEL installed on a server connected with EVA and tape library so i bought another EVA and i want to transfer all the data between two EVA's offline, kindly how can i do this? i have a tapes isit possible to restore from tapes to the new EVA? or other solution is available known that i don't to bring the new one online just for backup pool.

thanks in advance

6 REPLIES 6
mabu
Occasional Advisor

hey,

is it a kind of migration or what you want to do ?

For Replication you can use CA Licence.

If you want to do it offline, bring the new EVA in the same SAN, present a Disk and make a Copy?

Just an Idea...

Marcel

yassir2
Advisor

yes it's good to connect it on the same SAN can u provide more of copy process is it easier? 

mabu
Occasional Advisor

so.. i think

if you want to do an "Backup" or anything to bring the system up very fast i would to do this way.

- bring the systems on same SAN

- use weakly full backup on tape and a "OS based Copy" to second Disk(second eva)

- use incremental backup every day to tape

now you have a fast way to be online with only restore incremental backups to second storage...

you have to think about your requirements in case of failure before. Backup Time...RTO.....

a manual offline copy is not a HA Solution...

it is only an idea...

yassir2
Advisor

dear Mabu,

i attached the diagram that shows thae data flow from exsisting eva to other one by tapes to restore it on new one, look at the diagrame and give me ur suggesion.

mabu
Occasional Advisor

hmm...

ok.. a question...

what is the reason to make a copy from backup ?

is it a DR Site? another building without a connection between?

i don┬┤t understand the reason for this site.

marcel

yassir2
Advisor

almost DR site but no link between them and for costly i can't buy the CA license, so i want to use the backup tapes from exsisting to the new eva.

the question is : it's needs to use same configuration on exsisting site like eva volume pools and system linux configuration just i mean its professional to use the same.