1745906 Members
4244 Online
108723 Solutions
New Discussion

iSCSI design best practice with multiple HP Storage Arrays

pjapk
Occasional Contributor

iSCSI design best practice with multiple HP Storage Arrays

I'm in the process of designing a config which will have VMware storage on one iSCSI array (P2000 G3) and B2D storage on another (MSA2000i).

As both are Dual-controller iSCSI devices, best practice suggests a two subnets per array (A0/B0 in one subnet, A1/B1 in the other) and non-routed.

Given a requirement for one server to access both arrays, this would potentially suggest at least 4 x NIC ports for iSCSI only in this server (with a further 2 ports minimum per additional iSCSI array).

Clearly this isn't scaleable so I'm trying to determine where the compromise should be made - either using just two subnets for both arrays (i.e. A0/B0 for BOTH arrays in one subnet & A1/B1 for BOTH arrays in the other, then a single NIC in each subnet at the host end).

Or, whether the SP's should remain in different subnets, but instead have them routed (again, resulting in a single host NIC port in each subnet).

I've been googling extensively & not found any guidance for this scenario so would appreciate any advice (or pointers to existing info).

My prior experience is with smaller-scale FC storage so this is the first time I'm delving deeper into iSCSI...

Regards,

Paul

1 REPLY 1
pjapk
Occasional Contributor

Re: iSCSI design best practice with multiple HP Storage Arrays

Just to clarify, the plan is to have Read-Only access to P2000 using Veeam in direct-san mode to back-up the VMware data to the MSA2000, so, looking to "read" with one NIC on the backup server and "write" with the other to maximise throughput.