108788 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: issue with firmware upgrade HP MSA 2040 single controller

SOLVED
Go to solution
davidBlum_DBCI
Occasional Collector

issue with firmware upgrade HP MSA 2040 single controller

I am trying to update my firmware on my single controller msa 2040 ... whether i use the smart component or SMU V3 the update fails because it looks for the second controller which is not installed... HINT : i disabled Partner Firmware Update as advised but still the firmware looks for second controller and fails update... is there a way to tell SMU or the smartcomponent that it is a single controller MSA ? i am stuck .. 

thanks for all your help already 

9 REPLIES 9

Download the firmware file and extract it with the help of some unzip software. You should be able to see the firmware bin file.

To update the firmware from the CLI

Copy the firmware .bin file to an easy location on the desktop. Create a folder on the desktop(name firmware) and copy the .bin file directly to it.

From Putty software or Windows command prompt

Telnet into the IP address of the Controller for which you need to upgrade the firmware and run the following command

set protocols ftp enabled

Once this command is run successfully, minimize the putty window

Go to command prompt
Change to the directory where you have saved the file

cd desktop
desktop>cd firmware
desktop\firmware>

Then enter IP address of Controller

Enter: ftp controller-network-address

For example: ftp 10.0.0.2

or

ftp 10.0.0.3

Login using the username and password for MSA

Then run the following command

put firmware-file flash

where firmware-file is the filename of the firmware file.

You can also follow the release notes and refer section "Installing firmware using FTP",

https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?sp4ts.oid=null&docLocale=en_US&docId=emr_na-a00038886en_us

ope this helps!
Regards
Subhajit

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!

***********************************************************************************

I work for HPE
Accept or Kudo
davidBlum_DBCI
Occasional Collector

thanks a lot for your input.. but doing it from ftp did not bring any improvement.. i do not have even a progress in ftp as the documentation said it should

May I know what is the current firmware version installed ?

Can you please capture the screenshot of the error both from SMU and FTP so that I can check further?

Did you tried to reboot the Controller and then go for firmware update?

Hope this helps!
Regards
Subhajit

***********************************************************************************

I work for HPE
Accept or Kudo
davidBlum_DBCI
Occasional Collector

Hi 

firmware version is GL210R004 i am trying to update to GL225R003

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AuADBFOxK9m_gfpEjukD_DpBFLM73w

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AuADBFOxK9m_gfpFDdMwgmR3lydyqg

davidBlum_DBCI
Occasional Collector

Hi 

firmware version is GL210R004 i am trying to update to GL225R003

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AuADBFOxK9m_gfpEjukD_DpBFLM73w

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AuADBFOxK9m_gfpFDdMwgmR3lydyqg

In case of Single Controller firmware update, it's always suggested to do the same from CLI or FTP method or from SMU by supplying bin file or firmware file because if you try with the help of exe file eventhough you disable Partner firmware update disabled but after completion of one Controller firmware update it will automatically enable partner firmware update and look for partner controller to start the firmware update. This is because exe file is smart component.

To update controller module firmware from SMU by disabling Partner firmware update first,
1. Perform one of the following:
 In the banner, click the system panel and select Update Firmware.
 In the System topic, select Action > Update Firmware.
The Update Firmware panel opens. The Update Controller Modules tab shows versions of firmware components that are currently installed in each controller.
2. Click Browse and select the firmware file to install.

3. Click OK. A panel shows firmware-update progress.
The process starts by validating the firmware file:
 If the file is invalid, verify that you specified the correct firmware file. If you did, try downloading it again from the source location.
 If the file is valid, the process continues

******************************************************************************************************************************************.

From error screenshot it looks to me one controller firmware update completed and then it's look for partner controller when other controller not available that time it throws error as below,

"ERROR: System health insufficient to support firmware update.

Reason: Fail

At least one controller is not up

"

********************************************************************************************************************************************

Regarding the error from FTP method, it looks like some firewall issue where Port 54157 not having permission. I hope in your MSA array FTP is enabled as I have suggested earlier. Hope you have used admin user to do the firmware update from FTP console. May be good to share step by step screenshot so that I can understand if anything is missing out.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Subhajit

I work for HPE
Accept or Kudo
Shawn_K
HPE Pro
Solution

Hello,

Is the array set up as a single controller system? If the redunancy mode is set to Active-Active, then the system is configured for the second redundant controller. You can check the redundancy mode of the system by issuing the following CLI command.

CLI # show redundancy-mode

To set the system as a single controller system use the following CLI command.

CLI # set advanced-settings single-controller

Once the system is set up in single controller mode, try the firmware upgrade again using either SMU or FTP.

Cheers,
Shawn

I work for Hewlett Packard Enterprise. The comments in this post are my own and do not represent an official reply from HPE. No warranty or guarantees of any kind are expressed in my reply.

I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo

davidBlum_DBCI
Occasional Collector

Shawn thank you so much .. this is exactly what i needed it worked !

Jorge_GoIt
Occasional Contributor

Hello @Shawn_K 

I have a test environment MSA 1050 that I set the redundacy mode to single-controller. Now I want to take it back to dual-controller redundancy mode, but couldn't find any guide.

an you plase share some command?