108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: san switch 2/16 no telnet link or ip

SOLVED
Go to solution
mark parr
Occasional Advisor

san switch 2/16 no telnet link or ip

I have a san switch 2/16-el I don't know the IP address for, the switch boots fine and has connectivity but I can't gain access to the switch through the serial port using telnet (no response), does it take a special serial cable to access the switch through the serial port? I have a regular serial cable and a null modem neither work, or can I reset the factory IP address some how to gain access to the switch via the RJ-45? Thank You All
12 REPLIES 12
dewitte64
Advisor

Using the serial port, you don't use telnet, but instead you use a terminal program. I used Hyperterminal which usually comes with Windows. You set it to 9600 baud, 8N1 (working from memory) and then you just hit enter and it should connect. The cable is a null modem cable. Once you get in, there is a menu item to find and also set the IP address.
mark parr
Occasional Advisor

Hi Thanks for the quick reply, I have tried Hyperterm (that├в s what I meant to say not telnet I know with telnet you have to have a port # has been a long read..) with the settings you listed I have read that in the user manual, I just don't get a reply from the switch tried a null modem cable, have read that you can turn off the serial port for security reasons. Looked at HPs web for the cable and is no longer available... I read about the same problem in the forum the guy found the cable that shipped with the switch a said that it worked..Has any one out there just tried a null modem to see if you can access the switch?.I would gladly pay for a cable if any one can help me out or knows what the pin out is.....Thanks
tharrold
Frequent Advisor

The cable that ships with the switch is NOT a regular serial cable pinout, NOR is is a null modem. I'll see if I can find the pinout listed anywhere...

-tjh
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

"Once you get in, there is a menu item to find and also set the IP address."

There is no menu on the serial port nor via telnet. You have to put commands in.

I believe..

ipaddrshow and ipaddrset are 2 commands you will want to try as well as...

version - shows firmware versions
switchshow - shows switch port connection and device info

After you set the IP address, you should be able to web browse to it.

The default user/password for the switch is admin/password. (incase your not sure, you can try these.)

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
mark parr
Occasional Advisor

TJH Thanks for the reply I thought that the pin out is special, does any one have the pin out, or can map the pin out for me or have an extra cable that I could buy.I checked HPs web for the pin out and tried to buy the cable it's no longer avalible..Thanks in advance Mark
matthew sanders

I think this product is OEM'd by others like EMC (all from brocade???)...I have the same problem and so am trying to find this info from other sources.
matthew sanders

There may also be the option of INBAND management of the switch if you have a Fibre channel HBA connected to it and the proper software from HP on the Host....
mark parr
Occasional Advisor

I had thought of the Inband solution I have an Infotrend FC Array on the system and thats what it uses. San networks are still new to me , I have HPs fabric manager for the switch Installed but I did not see any option for connecting via the FC link itself, I also have a copy of HPs Volume Manager but have never used the program. I am in the bay area, and am tring to find a console cable the I can copy the pin out on, from what I am am seeing I am not the only one the has this problem I will make sure that everyone gets the Info on to make there own cable. Thanks
matthew sanders
Solution

HAVE THE PINOUT:

it's only 2-2, 3-3, 5-5 (DB-9 females)

Used Hyperterminal to connect using:

9600-8-1-N

This may be the key...don't use auto-detect for emulation USE:

VT100 emulation

I had problems if I didn't.

matt