MSA Storage
1748127 Members
3692 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion

.vhdx can not be opened by 2012 R2 Hyper-V when copied at HPE MSA 2012SA storage

SEBO-so-geht-es
Occasional Contributor

.vhdx can not be opened by 2012 R2 Hyper-V when copied at HPE MSA 2012SA storage

Hello!

We have an additional HPE 421 controller plugged into each of our two HPE ProLiant DL380p Gen8 and into our one HPE ProLiant DL360p Gen 8.

At the both HPE ProLiant DL380p Gen8 is with those controllers a HPE MSA 2012SA connected and at the HPE ProLiant DL360p Gen 8 is with the controller a HPE D3700 connected.

The .vdhx (virtual maschine harddisk files) can be opended from the file share of the D3700 connected to the HPE ProLiant DL360p Gen 8 with the two HPE ProLiant DL380p Gen8 running Microsoft 2012 R2 Hyper-V with replication.

We have with appropriate cables attached a HP StorageWorks MSA 2000 Enclosure MSA 2012SA (product number: AJ750A) with about 7 TB of usable capacity attached to the 3.5" storage (RAID5) now to both HPE ProLiant DL380p Gen8 parallely and where able to create a further volumen at this MSA:

As soon as I copy a .vhdx from the storage (HPE D3700) connected to the HPE ProLiant DL360p Gen8 the .vhdx can not be involved in Hyper-V virtual machines or in the Windows Explorer running at the HPE ProLiant DL380p Gen8: We have as administrators allegedly not the necessary permissions, appears analogously as an error message!

Since our storage in HPE Enclosure HPE D3700 enclosure (product number: B7E41A) (on the HPE ProLiant DL360p Gen9) with .vhdx and checkpoints is running very slowly but surely with checkpoints, some .vhdx will have to rely on the moved to the HPE ProLiant DL380p Gen8 (with an additional HPE 421 controller) connected HPE MSA 2040 and re-integrated into Hyper-V virtual machines!

This is unfortunately not possible for me because of the above mentioned error message! Please report to jointly change the permissions on the HP StorageWorks MSA 2000 Enclosure MSA 2012SA (product number: AJ750A) connected to the HPE ProLiant DL380p Gen8 with HPE 421. The HP StorageWorks MSA 2000 Enclosure MSA 2012SA is currently connected to the second HPE ProLiant DL380p Gen8, possibly because it is not shared storage and one of the two HPE ProLiant DL380p Gen8 needs to be disconnected from the HP StorageWorks MSA 2000 Enclosure MSA 2012SA to be able to use the storage in it properly?

Maybe which permissions must be changed for the MSA 2012SA storage?!

We are currently running Microsoft Windows 2012 R2 Server (Essentials Edition and Datacenter Edition) at all those HPE Gen 8 IT-infrastructure.

DL

1 REPLY 1
Shawn_K
HPE Pro

Re: .vhdx can not be opened by 2012 R2 Hyper-V when copied at HPE MSA 2012SA storage

Hello,

Please be aware that the MSA2012SA is an End of Support Life product. The array was never tested nor supported Windows 2012 or Windows 2012 R2. Your solution here of using an DL380 Gen8 with a H421 has never been tested within HPE. You may encounter unexpected results due to the unsupported configuration.

From your description it sounds as if the file transfer completes successfully. You should be aware of the size limitations of LUNs between the D3000 and MSA2012SA. However, if the file transfers successfully it is likely a size that works on both systems. 

The admin privelages for a file are not set at the controller level. This means it is not something set by the H421, D3000, or the MSA2012SA. Privelage levels are set at the host OS. However, be aware there is a difference between "moving" the vhdx file and export/import. A move of a vhdx file may not be how you want to handle this operation. From what you are describing it sounds as if you need to export and import the file while making sure you have handled the VMs correctly. There is a lot of documentation from Microsoft on these two operations and all the correct steps you need to perform.

Cheers,
Shawn

I work for Hewlett Packard Enterprise. The comments in this post are my own and do not represent an official reply from HPE. No warranty or guarantees of any kind are expressed in my reply.

I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo